A Dyer's Garden - WordPress
- Getting Started with WordPress - What is WordPress and how is it being used at Evergreen?
Working with the Longhouse Ethnobotanical Garden site
Logging in from the sites.evergreen.edu homepage
- Navigate to https://sites.evergreen.edu and click the login/register link in the sidebar
- Login via CAS using your Evergreen username and password
- Navigate to your site via the My Sites menu in the upper left admin bar
Driving in WordPress
Writing and Managing your content
Contextual help is always available from the upper right Help tab in your Dashboard. This is likely the fastest way to get your questions answered.
Adding a new post
- From the Posts left-hand menu choose Add New
- Enter the post title (directly under Edit Page)
- Click Publish to save your changes (once you've "published" a post, the save button will show as "Update")
Editing a post
- Navigate to the page you want to update
- Click the Edit Post link in the admin topbar
- Make your changes and click Update to save
Adding media to a post
- You can upload and insert media (images, audio, documents, etc.) by clicking the Add Media button when editing a post.
- You can select from the images and files already uploaded to the Media Library, or upload new media to add to your post.
- To create an image gallery, select the images to add and click the “Create a new gallery” button.
Embedding media from other sites
You can also embed media from many popular websites including Twitter, YouTube, Vimeo, Flickr and others by pasting the media URL on its own line into the content of your post.
Add media directly to the Media Library
- In the Dashboard's left sidebar menu, click on Media
- you can drag-and-drop files right into the Library page
- or click on Add New
Link a Dye Plant Profile post to placeholder text on The Plants page
Open The Plants page in one browser tab and open the All Posts page in another tab
At the All Posts page, click on View for a post and copy the URL in the address bar
Go to The Plants page:
- highlight the placeholder text
- click on the Insert/Edit LInk
- paste in the URL, click the blue Apply button
- then click Update to save the page
Create your own WordPress at "blogs" to practice with
blogs.evergreen.edu is Evergreen's WordPress instance primarily for community members looking to self-create a WordPress site/blog/academic journal. To create your own site, all you need is an evergreen email address and login. Faculty looking to create a curricular site using WordPress should use sites.evergreen.edu.