Basic Editing - PE
Trimming Source Clips in the Preview Monitor
Remove unwanted footage from source clips.
- Double click on a video clip in the Project Assets Tab
- A preview window appears of the video with playback controls and handles for setting in and out points.
- Adjust the handles or place the playhead and press I to set an in point, or O to set the out point.
- The in and out points can always be adjusted to reveal the full length of the clip.
Shifts other clips in the timeline out of the way-
- Click and drag a clip from the project assets tab into a video track in the timeline.
- Release the mouse when an icon with a right pointing arrow appears.
- Other audio/video clips will move forward or backward out of the way.
Covers up one clip with another-
- Click and drag clips over other clip into the timeline by pressing and holding the command key.
- Release the mouse when a centered arrow icon appears.
Split a clip into separate pieces-
- Position the current time indicator (playhead) over a clip where it will be cut.
- Bring the cursor over the clip and click on the split clip button (looks like scissors).
- The clip is now separated into two pieces, that can be re-grown by edge editing.
When moving clips in the timeline this will align to other objects (playhead, other clips, markers, etc) and prevent gaps.
- From the top menu Timeline > Snap, or press S.