Branching Out - WordPress
- Getting Started with WordPress - What is WordPress and how is it being used at Evergreen?
Working with the Longhouse Ethnobotanical Garden site
Logging in from the sites.evergreen.edu homepage
- Navigate to https://sites.evergreen.edu and click the login/register link in the sidebar
- Login via CAS using your Evergreen username and password
- Navigate to your site via the My Sites menu in the upper left admin bar
Driving in WordPress
Writing and Managing your content
Adding media to a page
- You can upload and insert media (images, audio, documents, etc.) by clicking the Add Media button when editing a page.
- You can select from the images and files already uploaded to the Media Library, or upload new media to add to your page or post.
- To create an image gallery, select the images to add and click the “Create a new gallery” button.
Embedding media from other sites
You can also embed media from many popular websites including Twitter, YouTube, Vimeo, Flickr and others by pasting the media URL on its own line into the content of your post/page.
Contextual help is always available from the upper right Help tab in your Dashboard. This is likely the fastest way to get your questions answered.
Editing a page
- Navigate to the page you want to update
- Click the Edit Page link in the admin topbar
- Make your changes and click Update to save
Adding a new page
- From the Pages left-hand menu choose Add New
- Enter the page title (directly under Edit Page)
- Click Update to save your changes
- All top-level new pages added to your site should automatically appear in your primary navigation.
- For more see Navigation and Custom Menus.
- To change your site’s primary navigation go to Appearance > Menus
- Each custom menu may contain a mix of links to pages, categories, custom URLs or other content types. Menu links are added by selecting items from the expanding boxes in the left-hand column below.
- To reorganize menu items, drag and drop items with your mouse or use your keyboard. Drag or move a menu item a little to the right to make it a submenu
- You can assign theme locations to individual menus by selecting the desired settings at the bottom of the menu editor. You typically will choose Primary Menu for the main menu.
- Widgets are independent sections of content that can be placed into any widgetized area provided by your theme (commonly called sidebars).
- Widgets are controlled via Appearance > Widgets
- To populate your sidebars/widget areas with individual widgets, drag and drop the title bars into the desired area
- The Links widget content (also seen as the Bookmarks sidebar) can be edited using Dashboard > Links
Create your own WordPress at "blogs" to practice with
blogs.evergreen.edu is Evergreen's WordPress instance primarily for community members looking to self-create a wordpres site/blog/academic journal. To create your own site, all you need is an evergreen email address and login. Faculty looking to create a curricular site using WordPress should use sites.evergreen.edu.