The Evergreen Library currently loans Chromebooks for check-out. To check out a Chromebook you must be a currently registered student, staff or faculty.
We have over 300 Chromebooks to check out to students for spring quarter, 2020. For up to date information including when and where to pick up a device, visit the Library's Chromebook page at evergreen.edu/library/chromebooks.
Checking Out a Chromebook
- Chromebooks for spring quarter will check out until June 12, 2020.
- There are no renewals allowed at this time
- They cannot be reserved
- The replacement/late fee for a Chromebook that is long overdue, lost or damaged is $470.00 + $35.00 non-refundable late fee
- The replacement/late fee for a Chromebook Cable that is long overdue, lost or damaged is $66.00 + $15.00 non-refundable late fee
Please review the help articles below to get the most out of your Chromebook experience. Report any issues with your Chromebook by submitting a help ticket at help.evergreen.edu
What's a Chromebook and how is it different from my Mac or Windows Laptop?
- A Chromebook is a laptop of a different variety. Instead of Windows 10 or Mac OS X, Chromebooks run Google's Chrome OS. These machines are designed to be used primarily while connected to the Internet, with most applications and documents living in the cloud.
- They do not run locally installed applications but rather rely on Google's Cloud Apps like GMAIL, Google Drive, Youtube, etc to provide functionality and help you complete common web-based tasks
You will need Wifi
- Chromebooks rely almost entirely on access to the web to function, you will need Wifi wherever you plan to work with it
- There is no ethernet jack so you must have wireless internet
What can I do with it?
Almost anything you use a web browser for at home or work, you can do with a Chromebook.
- So long as you have a wifi connection and a Google Account you can do quite a bit
- GMAIL - feature rich Email
- Google Drive - Storage and creation of documents. Word Processing, presentations, simple spreadsheets, calendar, etc
- Canvas - use the Chrome browser to view your Evergreen Canvas Site and turn in homework documents by syncing your Google Drive with Canvas.
- Learn more about what a Chromebook can do here.
What can't it do?
- Without wireless internet (wifi) the device is not functional
- You can not install software on the laptop, it relies purely on Google Cloud Applications and Chrome Browser Extensions
- Microsoft Excel and Statistics Homework is best completed using Microsoft Excel in one of the Evergreen Computer Labs
- Video Editing capabilities are limited to what is available in Youtube
How do I login to it?
- You can click on Browse As Guest to get online immediately. Please note that Guest Mode does not retain bookmarks or cloud data and will wipe after every session.
- Click Add a User to login with your Google Account (this is NOT your my.evergreen.edu account). Logging in with your Google Account will provide the most features and will sync your data with your Google Cloud.
- Learn more about what you can do with a Chromebook here.
How do I print on campus? What about at home?
- Hit CTRL + P to print from any Chrome window or go to File > Print from a Google Cloud App
- Choose Libprint or Libprint 3 based on where you are in the Evergreen Library proper
- The printer release station will list your username as "Cloud Print"
- At home you must have a Google Cloud Compatible Printer to print