Ecological Niche - Zoom Recorders
- Bring your Evergreen ID with the current quarter sticker.
- Make a reservation for equipment, stop by Lib. 2504, or call (360) 867-6253.
- Test and confirm all equipment is in working order before leaving Media Loan.
- Media Loan has SEVERE LATE FINES. Return equipment on time, or call to make a renewal. Follow up with an appeal form to negate late fines.
Late Fines assessed daily, per item Equipment valued over $250 — $20.00 per day Equipment valued under $250 — $10.00 per day Keys and all equipment and accessories valued over $50 — $10.00 per day Equipment and accessories valued under $50 — $5.00 per day
- Dynamic Mics
- Can withstand louder noises, rugged pickup elements.
- No power needed
- Condenser Mics
- More sensitive to quieter noises, and more delicate pickup elements.
- Needs power supplied through a battery, or through phantom power on zoom recorder.
Microphone Pickup Patterns
- Omni: picks up sound from all directions.
- Cardioid: picks up sound from front:
- Proximity Effect: low frequencies are boosted as mic is closer to the source.
- Super-Cardioid: Picks up from front with a narrower pattern.
- XLR = used at the bottom of the recorder for an external microphone (1 & 2).
- Mini or 1/8 inch = will not work with zoom.
Mic Usage Tips
- Use a stand or shockmoumt if possible to reduce noise
- Listen for:
- handling noise
- proximity effect
Media Loan Shopping List
- Zoom recorder
- Mic cables
- Extension cables
- Shock mount, fish pole
- Recommended for bird recording > Shotgun, parabolic
- Extra AA batteries
Digital audio recorder that records to flash memory cards. No moving parts. Copy files off just like using a USB drive.
- Format memory card before use, and before returning to Media Loan.
- Record Settings: Review settings on Zoom Recorder Guide
Recording Checklist for Single Narrator Recording
Select an appropriate recording location. Avoid noisy public locations (like restaurants, or areas near a road).
- Plug in to ac power, or use fresh AA batteris. Stamina switch will conserve battery power, but also limit settings.
- Turn on recorder
- Format card
- Plug in headphones
- Connect an external mic to recorder, press 1/2 button on the front panel. If using a condensor mic turn on Phantom Power (+48v)
- Set to record to WAV, 48kHZ, mono, manual record levels
- Set the mode to Stereo
- Confirm all filter settings are turned off
- Make a test recording:
- Press Rec button once - this will go in record pause mode
- Test the microphone placement, confirm if you are hearing the built in mic, or the external, any crackles, or hums, room noise, too close, too far away from the sound source?
- Set levels - record level controls on the right of the recorder. Levels should be the loudest around -12dB
- Press Rec to start recording (counter will be running, record light will be solid)
- Listen on headphones
- Press Stop to stop recording
- Playback recording
- Connect the zoom recorder to ac power, connect provided USB cable to the computer.
- Turn on the recorder, select USB mode.
- Copy files from the audio recorder to a computer as you would from a USB drive. Protect the privacy of your recordings by deleting all files on the recorder before returning equipment to Media Loan.
- When finished click and drag the device icon to the trash before turning off the recorder.
Get proficiency sign in sheet.