Life Writes : Group Annotation using Hypothes.is
From Help Wiki
How to use Hypothes.is
- Assignments will be uploaded to our class WordPress site in PDF format.
- Students will add notes to their classmates' work via the online collaborative annotation tool Hypothes.is.
- We will do this work in a private group but your notes will be visible to the entire class.
Create an account at Hypothes.is
You will need to create a free account at Hypothes.is
- Navigate to your programs View uploaded Assignments page
- click Join our Hypothes.is private group link
- select Create an Account
- create a username (this is the name your faculty and classmates will see)
- email (you may need this to reset your password if you forget it)
- password (keep this password in a safe place like a password management tool)
- click Sign up
Adding notes to your classmates' writing
At the View uploaded Assignments page
- from the dropdown, choose the assignment you want to view and click Submit
- Select the assignment you want to add notes to, it should open the PDF in a browser window
- While viewing the pdf, note the Hypothes.is toolbar in the upper right corner of the browser window
- expand the toolbar by clicking <
- IMPORTANT: Change from Public to the Life Writes private group before adding notes
- Select the Page Notes icon
- Add your notes and click Post to Life Writes
There are multiple ways to view notes:
- View notes on a per document basis: Open the pdf document and expand the Hypothes.is toolbar. If there are any notes they will appear there.
- View all notes posted across all documents in the group: click the grey group name in the Hypothes.is toolbar
- View all notes written by you: from the Hypothes.is toolbar click your username to go to your accounts stream of annotations/notes