Non-Fiction Media - DSLR Video
Shooting Video on the Canon Rebel DSLR T2i
- The T1i has battery type (E5), and the T2i has battery type (E8), these are not cross-compatible
- Whenever possible it is recommended to shoot video using the T2i camera because of the added video features over the T1i model
- Additional accessories including AC adapter cables, memory card readers, lenses, and remotes are available separately through Media Loan
- It is recommended to use a tripod to reduce camera shake.
- When using the default zoom lens aperture changes will occur during a change in focal length.
- Shooting for extended periods of time can cause the sensor to overheat, resulting in image artifacts, and/or shutting down. If this happens please turn the camera off for a while and wait for it to cool down.
- Turn off both Auto Focus and Image Stabilizer switches on the lens.
- Turn the camera dial to the movie mode (camera icon).
- Press the Menu button and adjust the following settings Canon Rebel Video Settings Guide.
Set the ISO/ASA: (film grain - light sensitivity)
- Press the ISO button and use the scroll wheel to adjust values.
- Anything above 800 will look pretty grainy.
Set White Balance:
- Take a shot of a white piece of paper in the subject area.
- In the menu settings select that white image as the custom white balance reference.
- Press Display.
- Press Quick menu.
- Select custom white balance using the scroll wheel.
- Press Quick menu to exit.
- Press the * symbol to adjust exposure settings in combination with the AV button and scroll wheel.
- Press the AF button to zoom and focus, or use the camera zoom and focus controls on the lens.
- Use the focus assist zoom button to toggle magnification x5, or x10 to do critical focus.
- Press the camera button with the red dot directly next to the viewfinder to start video recording. (Pressing the shutter will only take a still image)
- Press the camera record button again to stop.
It is recommended to have pre and post roll before and after each shot.
Copy the entire contents of the camera memory card INTACT to the local computer, or an external drive.
- Turn off the camera.
- Remove the memory card and insert into the provided card reader on the computer desk in the MML, or Non-Linear suites. -Card readers are also available for checkout from Media Loan.
- Create a folder with your name on the Storage or Local Work drive.
- Copy the entire DCIM folder from the memory card into your folder. DO NOT make any changes to this folder, or its contents.
- Eject the memory card by dragging to the trash.
- Preview clips by navigating to files with the .mov extension inside the DCIM folder.
- Put the memory card back into the camera and re-format before returning equipment to Media Loan.