Performance In Process - Marantz Recorders
- Bring your Evergreen ID with the current quarter sticker.
- Make a reservation for equipment, stop by Lib. 2504, or call (360) 867-6253.
- Test and confirm all equipment is in working order before leaving Media Loan.
- Media Loan has SEVERE LATE FINES. Return equipment on time, or call to make a renewal. Follow up with an appeal form to negate late fines.
Late Fines assessed daily, per item Equipment valued over $250 — $20.00 per day Equipment valued under $250 — $10.00 per day Keys and all equipment and accessories valued over $50 — $10.00 per day Equipment and accessories valued under $50 — $5.00 per day
- Dynamic Mics
- Can withstand louder noises, rugged pickup elements.
- No power needed
- Condenser Mics
- More sensitive to quieter noises, and more delicate pickup elements.
- Needs power supplied through a battery, or through phantom power on zoom recorder.
- Omni: picks up sound from all directions.
- Cardioid: picks up sound from front:
- Proximity Effect: low frequencies are boosted as mic is closer to the source.
- Super-Cardioid: Picks up from front with a narrower pattern.
- lavaliere: Small mic which clamps to clothing.
- Shotgun: Long mic. Picks up sound from with an extremely narrow pattern.
- XLR = Needed for Marantz
- Mini = will not work with Marantz.
Mic Usage Tips
- Use a stand if possible.
- Listen for:
- handling noise
- proximity effect
- popped p's
Media Loan Shopping List
- Marantz recorder
- Mic cables
- Extension cables
- Desk stand, floor stand, microphone handle
- Recommended for vocal recording > SM-58, SM-57, Sennheiser 421, ECM-50 Lavolier
- Extra AA batteries
Digital audio recorder that records to flash memory cards. No moving parts. Copy files off just like using a USB drive.
- Format memory card before use, and before returning to Media Loan.
- Record Settings: Review settings on handout
- Always record as PCM.
- Mono vs Stereo
- Setting Levels: Do not hit zero on the meter.
- Always have headphones.
- Record room tone.
- USB Mode
Select a controlled and quiet recording location. Avoid noisy public locations (like restaurants, or areas near a road). If possible, eliminate background noises (turn off stereos, TV’s, fans, air circulation vents). A room with carpeting and furniture will typically sound better than one with hard floors (too much echo).
- Plug in to ac power, or use fresh AA batteris.
- Format the memory card
- Plug in headphones
- Connect an external mic to recorder. If using a condensor mic turn on Phantom Power (+48v)
- Set to record to PCM, 48kHZ, mono, manual record levels.
- Make a test recording
- Press Rec Pause
- Test mic
- Set levels - record level control knobs are on the bottom of the recorder. Levels should be the loudest around -12dB on the meters.
- Press Rec to start recording.
- Listen on headphones
- Press Stop to stop recording
- Playback recording
It is recommended to record some "room tone" to be able to insert any pauses needed later in post-production.""
- Connect the zoom recorder to ac power, connect provided USB cable to the computer.
- Press and hold the USB button on the recorder and then turn on the power.
- Copy files from the audio recorder to a computer as you would from a USB drive. Protect the privacy of your recordings by deleting all files on the recorder before returning equipment to Media Loan.
- When finished click and drag the device icon to the trash before disconnecting or turning off the power.