Radio Practice and Politics - Mixing Benches
Setting Up Phone Interviews in the Mixing Benches
Both Mixing Benches have phones installed. The call-in # is listed on the top of the phone. For outgoing long distance calls please purchase a phone card in advance.
- Remove all existed patch cords from the patchbay.
- Patch Phone Hybrid Out (C15) > Mic/Line Input 2 (B16) .
- Patch Aux Send 1 (A21) > Hybrid In (D15), this sends the local talent to the caller.
JK Audio Phone Interface Setup
- Turn the From Phone knob all the way down.
- Turn the Separation knob all the way up.
- Turn the From Line knob to 12 o'clock.
- Turn the Send knob all the way up.
- When dialing a call, set the toggle mode to Norm, and after connecting a call, set to Off Hook' mode and hangup the handset.
Make sure the Mixer is normalized before starting.
- Plug headphones into the mixer, set headphone volume level to 12 o'clock.
- Plug a microphone (SM57 or 58 works well) into channel 1 of the mixer.
- Make sure that the Main Mix button in the source section is pressed down.
- On channel 1, turn Aux Send 1 knob to 12 o'clock.
- Turn up the Master Aux 1 Send knob to 12 o'clock.
- Hard pan left channel 1 (local speaker), hard pan right channel 2 (caller).
- Set the master channel faders to unity (this controls the overall output volume to the computer).
- Set trim levels on both channels. Adjust the trim knob until it peaks (red peak light will turn on) and then turn the trim down a bit. Speak into the mic on channel one, and use the dial tone for the phone on channel two.
- Bring up the individual faders on channel 1 and 2 so that they are relatively the same volume level.
Record directly into Audacity with the local speaker on the left channel, and the caller on the right.
- Turn on the power switch on the desk.
- Log in to the Computer
- Create a project folder with your name in the Storage Drive.
- Launch Audacity from the dock, and go to File > Save Project As , and save into the folder on the Storage Drive.
- At the bottom left corner of Audacity, make sure that the project sample rate is set to 48kHz or higher.
- Make a practice recording to set levels, press record on the top left of the window.
- Record levels should be set using the slider to almost maximum level, and instead use the main output channel faders on the mixer to adjust incoming signal levels.
- After recording save and label recording and backup materials to a server.