Tips for the Academic Fair
This guide contains information on some of Zoom's security settings and meeting controls.
- The Zoom meeting links will be posted on a public website, which presents the potential for Zoom bombing.
- Some settings require the current version of Zoom - please see "Check for Updates" below to make sure your Zoom app is up-to-date.
Check for Updates
To make sure you have the current version of Zoom:
- Sign into the Zoom application on your computer (not the website)
- Click on your profile icon in the upper right corner
- In the pop-out menu, click on "Check for Updates"
- Follow the prompts to install the update
- When finished, click on "Check for Updates" again
- Apply updates as needed until you see the "You are up to date" message
- Using a web browser, sign in to evergreen.zoom.us
- On the left side, click on "Meetings" and view the list under "Upcoming"
- Click on a meeting title to check its settings for the following sections:
- Do not select "Passcode"
- Check "Waiting Room"
- Do not select "Allow participants to join anytime"
- Check "Mute participants upon entry"
- Do not select "Require authentication to join"
- If selected this would require participants to sign in with Evergreen accounts
- Not all participants will have Evergreen accounts
When in a Zoom Meeting
Take note of the app options outlined below for ways to protect your meeting:
The "Participants" window has options for muting microphones and removing participants.
For details, see Zoom guide, Managing Participants in a Meeting.
- At the bottom of the window is a "Mute All" button
- Hover over a participant's name until the "Mute" button appears
- Hover over a participant's name until the "More" button appears
- Apply any of the following actions as needed:
- "Stop Video"
- "Put in Waiting Room"
The Security icon at the bottom of the Zoom meeting window has a variety of options and tools.
For details, see Zoom guide, In-meeting security options.
- "Hide Profile Pictures"
- Zoom bombers can set their profile picture to an offensive image.
- This is a quick way to turn off all profile pictures.
- "All Participants to: Share Screen"
- Un-check this so only the host can screen share
- "Suspend Participants Activities"
- This is a new setting for emergency situations
- This shuts off all participants' audio, video and screen sharing and locks the meeting