Video Essay - DSLR Video
Shooting Video on the Canon Rebel DSLR T2i
- Additional accessories including AC adapter cables, memory card readers, lenses, and remotes are available separately through Media Loan
- Turn off both Auto Focus and Image Stabilizer switches on the lens.
- Turn the camera dial to the movie mode (camera icon).
- Press the Menu button and adjust the following settings Canon Rebel Video Settings Guide.
Set the ISO/ASA: (film grain - light sensitivity)
- Press the ISO button and use the scroll wheel to adjust values.
- Anything above 800 will look pretty grainy.
Set White Balance:
- Take a shot of a white piece of paper in the subject area.
- In the menu settings select that white image as the custom white balance reference.
- Press Display.
- Press Quick menu.
- Select custom white balance using the scroll wheel.
- Press Quick menu to exit.
- Press the * symbol to adjust exposure settings in combination with the AV button and scroll wheel.
- Press the AF button to zoom and focus, or use the camera zoom and focus controls on the lens.
- Use the focus assist zoom button to toggle magnification x5, or x10 to do critical focus.
- Press the camera button with the red dot directly next to the viewfinder to start video recording. (Pressing the shutter will only take a still image)
- Press the camera record button again to stop.
It is recommended to have pre and post roll before and after each shot.
Import Video from a DSLR Memory Card Into Premiere Elements
Provided in the Multimedia Lab and Non-Linear Suites are memory card readers at each station.
- Insert the memory card into the provided card reader.
- Open a project in Premiere Elements.
- In the Tasks Panel select the Project Tab and select Get Video From: Flip, AVCHD, Cameras, Phones, or Removeable Drive.
- The Video Importer window will appear with all the video clips displayed and their duration.
- Check the boxes of each clip that you want to copy into your project. To preview a clip select it and press play in the bottom right preview window.
- Click the folder icon and choose to save into your project folder. It is recommended to create a subfolder labeled "video clips".
- Choose a naming preset.
- Uncheck all three boxes (delete originals, add to timeline, and instant movie).
- To import the clips click the Get Media button. Depending on the quantity of footage this may take a few moments.