16mm Film Projector Operating Guide
Eiki 16mm Projector
A proficiency test is required to check out this projector. Schedule a proficiency at the front desk of Media Loan or by calling 360-867-6253. Read this operating guide and complete the written portion of the 16mm Film Projector Proficiency Test prior to your scheduled proficiency. Bring your answer sheet with you to the test, which should take approximately 30 - 45 minutes.
- Open the latch on the front of the projector to remove the side cover.
- Raise both Reel Arms until they click.
- Make sure the Function Lever is in the STOP position, then connect the AC power cord into a standard wall outlet. A green lamp located beneath the lens will light up.
- Before you thread the film, you can pre-focus and adjust the size of your picture by turning the function lever to the first forward lamp position. Move the projector back from the screen to enlarge the picture and closer to the screen to make the picture smaller.
- Raise and lower the picture by using the black Elevating Knob on the front of the projector. When the picture is correctly sized and positioned, adjust the Focus knob until the edge of the light is sharp. Turn the Function Lever to stop.
- Place the film to be shown on the Supply Reel Arm. It should feed off in a clockwise direction; the leader of the film will usually be green.
- Place a take up reel on the other reel arm making sure its the same size or larger than the supply wheel.
- Lock down both reels by pushing down the small Arm Lock Buttons on the reel arms.
- Insert the leader of the film into the Film Trimmer.
- Press down firmly on the raised end to cut the film leader to the proper shape.
- Push the Self Threading Control into the self-thread position, then turn the Function Lever clockwise to the first forward position.
- Insert the lead end of the film into the film insert guide where the projector should pull the film in and thread it automatically.
- When enough film has come off the last roller to attach it to the take up reel, turn the Function Lever off.
- Gently tug the end of the film against the last roller to restore the self-threading mechanism to its normal operating position.
- You can also thread the film manually using the diagram on the reverse side of this operating guide.
When you've finished loading the film, turn the Function Lever clockwise to the first lamp position (the second lamp position is used only if you need a brighter image). Focus and frame using the controls near the lens as detailed under 'Setting Up.' Turn on the volume and adjust the treble and bass for tone. An external speaker may also be plugged into the front of the projector.
Still Frame and Reverse Projection
- To still frame the picture, depress the Still Picture Clutch lever. The image will be very dark in still frame. The lever must be fully depressed or film frames may get burned. If the shutter is blocking the picture, turn the Function Lever in either direction until the image is no longer blocked.
- For reverse projection, simply turn the Function Lever counterclockwise to the lamp position.
To rewind, wait until the film has run all the way through the projector and attach the loose end to the supply reel. Leaving the Function Lever in STOP, move the Rewind Lever down to the REWIND position. If this lever is pressed down when film is threaded through the projector, the film will tear. (To rewind when the film is threaded, turn the Function Lever to REVERSE as explained under 'Reverse Projection.') After the film is rewound, put the Rewind Lever back up to its normal position to stop the motor. After removing both reels from the arms, push the Arm Lock Buttons and lower the arms. Turn off the volume control switch. Replace the front cover and the plastic cover. The plastic cover should be used to carry the take-up reel and the spare lamps.