Difference between revisions of "A-POP - WordPress"
(Created page with " __NOTOC__ ==Week 1 Workshop== ===Access your site=== Your sites have been pre-created based on a site template. To access your site: # Login to [http://blogs.evergreen.edu bl...")
Revision as of 10:40, 28 March 2019
Week 1 Workshop
Access your site
Your sites have been pre-created based on a site template. To access your site:
- Login to blogs.evergreen.edu
- navigate to My Sites in the upper left for a listing of all sites connected to your login
Note: we will be changing URLs to match the preferred first name provided.
Your sites are currently set to be viewable by members of our college network, meaning anyone with an Evergreen login.
- In order for your posts to aggregate to the main program blog, your site needs to be publicly viewable.
- To protect specific posts, Edit the post's visibilty and set to Private. Private posts can only be seen by you and will not agreggate to the class blog.
How your Author display name can be changed sitewide.
- Go to Edit Profile from the "Howdy, your name" drop down in the upper left admin bar
- Change the "Display name publicly as" field to your choice. First name last initial is a good option.
Your site's were created using the pattern First Name's A-Pop Blog. You can change this in your Dashboard.
- Go to Settings > General
- Change the Site Title field and click Save Changes
Writing and Managing your content
- Get Published - Pages and Posts
- Categories and Tags - Every post you write should be added to one of the three categories provided: Rock, Scissors, Paper
- Custom Menus - let you modify your site's navigation and add links to new pages or post categories or create sub-navigation.
- Insert an image
- Set a featured image for each post.
- WordPress built-in image galleries
- You can display Instagram Image Galleries as well. See: Setting up the Feed Instagram Pro plugin.
- Embed video from Vimeo or YouTube by pasting the URL link into the content area of your page/post
- Link to a file
Week 2 Workshop
Each of your blogs is now set to syndicate to the A-Pop program site at https://sites.evergreen.edu/a-pop2017/.
- Each of your posts will be copied to the program site
- Viewers will be redirected to the original post when they click the title
Customize Your Site
Examples from previous students of A-Pop
This is default theme your site is already set to use. This theme has a flexible Theme Customization panel located in Dashboard > Appearance > Customize, that lets you customize a few components.
If you feel compelled to use a different theme, the following themes will work well on mobile devices (they are responsive) and make good usage of navigation (Menus) and widgets so you can design a site where viewers can easily find and interact with your content.
- Baskerville (custom header image)
- Hemingway (custom header image)
- Tracks (works best with featured images saved to posts)
- Twenty Twelve, Twenty Thirteen, Twenty Fourteen, Twenty Sixteen
Additional themes may not have Theme Options but can be modified by Appearance > Customize
Sidebar content in WordPress is controlled via "Widgets". Often times if you don't anything to your sidebar a default set of "widgets" will appear. You can change this by adding your own widgets.
- Widgets - add additional features to your sidebar
Week 6 Workshop
For this session we'll first meet in small groups of 3-4 people.
Each person is to identify one element of a peer's site that you really like and/or find successful and one element of your own site you feel could benefit from improvement - this could be both content and/or design elements.
We will then share out highlights from our small group discussions to the larger group.