Difference between revisions of "Canvas at Evergreen"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Revision as of 15:46, 13 January 2016
FAQs for Faculty and Staff
What is Canvas?
Canvas is a learning management system (LMS) by Instructure which features:
- A clean, user-friendly interface
- A dashboard page that quickly summarizes assignments, announcements and other relevant information across course sites
- Customizable notifications – students can get alerts via email, text message or social media at the frequency they desire
- A working calendar that can be added to Google Calendar, iCal or other popular calendar tools
- Support for media content
- The power of the cloud
For an overview of Canvas for higher ed, visit Instructure.com
Are Canvas sites private or visible to the public?
Evergreen's Canvas sites are private by default, and are NOT visible to the public.
- However, faculty can choose to make a site partially visible to the public, but it will not include any student data.
When is my course available? Can I create my course in Canvas in advance?
Canvas courses are not created automatically but by faculty request through Academic Technologies.
- A course may be requested by faculty once the offering has been made available in Banner.
- Your Canvas site should be available within 12 hours following request.
I have requested a site, but I don't see my course in Canvas
In Canvas, please click on Help in the upper right corner and select Report a Problem to submit a help ticket.
What is my File Storage quota for my course?
- Each Canvas course site is allotted 500 MB for file storage.
- In addition, each individual Canvas user is allotted 50 MB for personal file storage.
- Concerns or requests regarding file storage quota? Please contact Academic Computing.
How enrollment works in Canvas
Students registered for your course or students you've made a signature override for will be automatically enrolled in your offering.
- Students with signature override who have not officially registered will be concluded at the end of the first two weeks of class.
- Students that un-enroll from the class will have their enrollment in the Canvas course concluded automatically.
- If you want to add students to your class who are not already enrolled, please reference Add and manage students in Canvas using Sections below.
See also Instructure's illustrated guide:
Add and manage students in Canvas using Sections
Sections are used to organize students for administrative and assessment purposes.
These are the default sections created for single and multi-term offerings:
- a section for each quarter for student enrollment
- a section titled Manually add students here all quarters (please use this section for adding students)
- a section for faculty members associated with the offering
- a seminar section per faculty per quarter
See also Instructure's illustrated guides:
Use content from a previous Canvas course or Moodle site
- How do I import content from Moodle into Canvas?
- (Note: to import content from Moodle into Canvas, you will first need to make a backup copy of your Moodle course.)
If you would like help with migrating content, please contact Academic Computing for assistance.
Canvas Guide Topics
- Canvas Guide
- Canvas at Evergreen
- Technical Requirements
- Designing Your Canvas Course
- Canvas Site Templates
- Enrollment Information for Canvas
- Communication Tools
- Assignments and Quizzes
- Assessment and Grading Tools