Creating Dangerously - WordPress
From Help Wiki
- Getting Started with WordPress - What is WordPress and how is it being used at Evergreen?
Create a New WordPress Site
blogs.evergreen.edu is Evergreen's WordPress server. You can create your own site, all you need is an evergreen email address and login.
- Create your first site if you are new to blogs.evergreen.edu.
- Learn how to create additional sites if you already have a site at blogs.evergreen.edu.
Driving in WordPress
Writing and Managing your content
Images, video and linked files
- Insert an image
- Video - embed video from Vimeo or YouTube
- Link to a file
Designing Your Site
Working with themes
Themes allow you to change the design of your blog at anytime. Changing your theme will not affect the primary content of your site.
- Choose a theme
- Customize your header image - some themes allow for you to add your own header image Appearance > Header Image (may only appear if your chosen theme supports custom header images)
- Make additional changes to your theme (advanced)
Many themes support sidebar content. Often times if you don't anything to your side bar a default set of "widgets" will appear. You can change this by adding your own widgets.
- Widgets - add additional features to your sidebar
- Add external links to your sidebar
- Change what your front page displays if you'd prefer a static pages instead of your latest posts (optional).
- Custom Menus - allow you to modify the navigation for your site
- not all themes support custom menus
Adding functionality to your site
- Plugin Overview - use plugins to connect your site with a variety of web content including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, etc. Want to connect to a popular service that you don't see listed in the available plugins? Let Academic Computing know and we can look into adding it.
Embedding additional media
Need More Help?
- WordPress Tutorial - for a step-by-step tutorial to get you started
- FAQs - common questions about using WordPress at Evergreen
- All WordPress articles
Still have questions or problems with WordPress, send Academic Computing a message or call the Computer Center at 360-867-6227.