Creating a New Project - PE
Collect Source Media
Before starting a project in Premiere Elements collect and organize any materials that will be used in the project: audio, still images, video clips.
- Create a folder with your name on the desktop.
- Inside your folder, create folders for audio, stills, and video, and place files accordingly.
- Launch Premiere Elements from the dock at the bottom of the screen.
- From the top menu, go to File > Save Project As.
- Name the project descriptively (with your name), and choose to save into your project folder on the desktop.
Import Video Clips from a Folder
Import clips into Elements from files that were already copied from a memory card.
- In Elements, at the top left of the screen click the Add Media tab.
- From the list, select Files and Folders.
- In the file dialog box click the triangle on the top right to expand the window. Find your project folder, and navigate to the video folder.
- From the video folder select each video clip as it appears as a .MTS file. To select all press command A.
- Click Import to add clips to the project.
- Video clips will appear in the Project Assets Tab.
Import Vixia Clips Directly from a Card Reader
Import clips directly from the memory card reader, available at every station in the Multimedia Lab, or when using the Computer Center checkout a card reader from Media Loan down the hall.
- With the Vixia camera powered off, remove the memory card and insert it into a card reader.
- From the top left of the screen click the Add Media tab.
- From the list, select Videos from Flip or Cameras.
- In the Video Importer window, click the yellow folder icon next to the Save In location, navigate to your project folder, and select choose.
- Preview video clips by selecting them and press play in the Preview window.
- Un-check the box next to clips you do not want to use.
- Click Get Media to import clips. This will duplicate the media files from the memory card to your project folder, and import the files into the Project Assets Tab.
- After importing is completed, eject the memory card by dragging it to the trash, and then place it back in the camera.
- Initialize the memory card before returning equipment to Media Loan.
When creating a new project Premiere Elements will automatically adjust the project settings to match the first type of video content that is imported. Project settings cannot be changed after starting a project. Make sure that the first clip brought into your Premiere project is the video standard that you want to work in.