Difference between revisions of "Evergreening Technology - workshop for Hop On Pop"
From Help Wiki
|Line 46:||Line 46:|
Latest revision as of 15:20, 12 October 2010
What you need to know about Evergreen's technology resources
- account settings
- adding personal file space
- forwarding your email
- personal web space
- creating an academic blog at evergreen
- academic.evergreen.edu - to find your program webpage
- Computer Labs and Classrooms
- where do I get help with technology stuff?
- computing wiki
- Computer Center
Must have computing skills:
- Manipulating digital images
- Basic Word processing
- Comfort w/ both Mac and Windows OS, Linux is up and coming
- File management skills
- Creating folders for organization
- Moving files, renaming files
- Accessing networked computers
- Ability to create a spreadsheet
What are some additional technology tools that you should know about?
- Questions about iGoogle demo?
- Google Docs
- Delicious - everybody sign up for an account
- Firefox tools for making adding bookmarks to delicious even easier
- RSS - what is this, how can I read RSS feeds?
How does the internet work
All these tools are on the web. Do you really know how the internet works?
- What does a web browser actually do.
- Anatomy of a URL
- protocol > domain > directory > filename
- deep links, how do I navigate a website when there's no navigation?
How do search engines work?
- html tags of interest: <title>, <meta>, <h1>, <h2>
- what ever happened to the meta tag?
- Check a page using SEOmoz
- Why do you care? Google yourself and marvel at the results.