Faculty Technology Guide
From Help Wiki
Helpful information about IT tools and resources for Faculty, 2006-2007
(for more information on any topic below, click on any of the text displayed in blue)
What's New in Curricular IT at Evergreen?
- New Teaching and Learning Tools - contact your Academic Computing Liaison for more information or to get started using these tools:
- Blogs - a personal journal that is frequently updated and intended for general public consumption. Blogs generally represent the personality of the author and allow others to post comments or critique. A few examples can be found at the Blog Project Site.
- Drupal – a great tool for creating curricular web-pages and online web-sites where the emphasis is on community interaction. Drupal is easy to use and allows you to focus on content rather than technology. To see an example, check out the Ireland Program Site.
- Wikis - Wikis are best when you’re focusing on group authoring of a piece of written work. (e.g. books, papers, etc). This page was created using Evergreen's wiki tool!
- Moodle - similar to “Blackboard”, Moodle supports structured course-work with tools like assignments, quizzes, peer assessment, etc. Moodle is easy to use and has many powerful features designed to augment the classroom experience. A good example is the The Nature of Natural History Program Site, or visit our Demonsrtation Class to explore a bit more.
- Visit the Academic Computing Curricular Resources web pages to see the complete list of web-based Teaching and Learning tools that are available.
IT Teams and Services Directory
- Faculty/Staff Help Desk, Library 1806, ext. 6627 - provides a single point of contact for TESC faculty and staff to receive assistance in resolving computing and network questions and problems.
- Academic Computing (AC), Library 2600, ext. 6235 - General instructional technology support to Evergreen's curriculum, faculty and students through hardware and software resources, consultation and management of the Computer Center.
- Computer Applications Lab (CAL), LabII 1st Floor, ext. 6426 - The primary computing facility for TESC science students and programs - as well as a wide range of other computing resources. From data acquisition to maintenance of the campus weather station, the Scientific Computing group supports Evergreen science programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Computer Center, Library 2600, ext. 6231 - Computing Classrooms for scheduled curricular use and general-access computer workstations for student use.
- Electronic Media (EM), Library 1501, ext. 6270 - Animation labs, Audio Studios, Audio/Video Event Production, Film Editing, Music Technology labs, Digital Video Editing, Multimedia: Electronic Media (EM) provides instructional workshops, facility support and maintenance, and scheduling for campus media production facilities. EM also provides production support for campus audio and video events as well as supporting the A/V-equipped classrooms across campus.
- Media Loan, Library 2504, ext. 6253 - Media Loan, Advanced Production Services, Audio Studio and Online Media Resources: Media Loan circulates audio/video and photographic equipment to Evergreen students, faculty and staff.
- Photoland, Library 1310, ext. 6562 - Photo Production Services, the Digital Imaging Studio (DIS) and the Photo Center: Photo provides the Evergreen community with photo production services, instruction, supplies and support. Traditional and digital production facilities are available.
- Sound and Image Library (SAIL), Library 2312, ext. 6087 - Videos, DVD’s, 16mm Films, Audio Books, CD ROMs, Language Tapes/Books, Laser Disks & Slides, Listening and viewing areas include transfer capabilities that allow for basic format changes. SAIL staff can assist with locating materials or use of equipment.
Who to call for Technology Help?
|General Computing Support (email, password resets, hardware and software problems, etc.)||TSS Help Desk @ ext. 6627; Barbara Caswell,TSS Supervisor @ ext. 6983||Normal Business Hours||Limited assistance may be available from Beth Stinson @ ext. 5064 (evenings and Saturdays)|
|AV Classroom Use||Space Scheduling @ ext. 6314; technical help: EM Help desk @ ext. 6270; Zena Vergara @ ext. 5517||M-Thurs 8:30am-7pm, Fri 8:30am-6pm||Aaron Kruse (ext 6842) Mon-Fri until 7pm, Zena Vergara Sat 8-5 (ext. 5517)|
|Computer Hardware and Software Purchasing||Marshall Robinson, Buyer @ ext. 5068; Ken Tabbutt, Academic Dean (for funding)||Normal Business Hours|
|Computer Science Technology||Isaac Overcast @ ext. 6226||Normal Business Hours|
|Gateway Faculty Self-Service||Student and Class info: Fletcher Ward @ ext. 5184||Normal Business Hours|
|GIS (Geographic Information Systems)||Rip Heminway @ ext. 6904||Normal Business Hours|
|Help Learning New Software||*General Computing: contact your Academic Computing Liaisons * Media/Multimedia: Stephanie Zorn @ ext. 6249 * Computer Science: Isaac Overcast @ ext. 6226 * Scientific Computing: Rip Heminway @ ext. 6904||Normal Business Hours||Support for Evening and Weekend classes is available from Beth Stinson @ ext. 5064|
|Multi-Media Applications||Electronic Media Help Desk @ ext. 6270, Multimedia Lab aid desk @ ext. 5455, or your Academic Computing Liaisons||General Hours M-Thurs 8:30am-7pm, Fri 8:30am-6pm, Sat-Sun 12-6 based on Multimedia Lab Schedule||Support for Evening and Weekend classes is available for Beth Stinson @ ext. 5064|
|Office Applications||TSS Help Desk||Normal Business Hours||Support for Evening and Weekend classes is available for Beth Stinson @ ext. 5064|
|Portable AV Equipment Check-out and Use||Media Loan @ ext. 6253||Mon-Thu 8:30am - 8pm, Fri 8:30am - 4pm, Sat 8:45am-12:45pm||same|
|Telephone and Voice Mail||Bob King @ ext. 6315, Service Problems: Richard Schneider @ ext. 6417 or the TSS Help Desk @ ext. 6627||Normal Business Hours|
|Web-based Teaching and Learning Tools||See your Academic Computing Liaisons||Normal Business Hours||Support for Evening and Weekend classes is available for Beth Stinson @ ext. 5064|
|Workshops for your Classes||*General Computing: contact your Academic Computing Liaisons * Media/Multimedia: Stephanie Zorn @ ext. 6249 * Computer Science: Isaac Overcast @ ext. 6226 * Scientific Computing: Rip Heminway @ ext. 6904||Normal Business Hours||Support for Evening and Weekend classes is available from Beth Stinson @ ext. 5064|