GCORE - WordPress
- Getting Started with WordPress - What is WordPress and how is it being used at Evergreen?
Create a New WordPress Site
- Create your first site if you are new to blogs.evergreen.edu.
- Learn how to create additional sites if you already have a site at blogs.evergreen.edu.
Driving in WordPress
- Dashboard Overview - get comfortable navigating the Dashboard and moving between Admin and Public view
Change the defaults
- Change your Site's subtitle or Tagline Settings > General
- Change the default Discussion settings Settings > Discussion
- Change your privacy settings Settings > Privacy - by default your site is closed to the world
Writing and Managing your content
- Get Published - Pages and Posts
- Create your "Home" page - explore the text editor and add some filler content
- Create your "News" page (optional)
- Change what your front page displays if you'd prefer a static pages instead your latest posts.
- Categories and Tags - only if you're working with Posts on a News page
- Insert an image - add an image to the body
- Link to a file
- Create your "Research Page"
- Upload and link to a file
Break at 7:15
Designing Your Site
Working with themes
Themes allow you to change the design of your blog at anytime. Changing your theme will not affect the primary content of your site.
- Choose a theme
- Customize your header image - some themes allow for you to add your own header image Appearance > Header Image (may only appear if your chosen theme supports custom header images)
Many themes support sidebar content. Often times if you don't anything to your side bar a default set of "widgets" will appear. You can change this by adding your own widgets.
- Custom Menus - allow you to modify the navigation for your site (optional)