Getting Started with WordPress
What is WordPress?
WordPress is web software you can use to create a beautiful website or blog.
Who is using it?
- 14% of all websites are running WordPress, 22% of all new domains registered are running WordPress
Why would you want to use WordPress?
- Easy to use
- Quickly create good looking websites that adhere to web standards
- Easily integrates with rich media and many of the current web tools out there like YouTube, Flickr image galleries, RSS feeds, Google Maps, etc.
- students can take it with them after they graduate using the Export feature
- WordPress is open source and is actively contributed to by a large community of developers and designers
How are Evergreen community members using WordPress at blogs.evergreen.edu?
- Curricular web sites (publicly viewable vs. private Moodle sites)
- Professional portfolio sites
- student web-based academic journal/portfolio
- personal blog
- groups sites for student groups, governance and academic projects
What's the difference between WordPress.com and blogs.evergreen.edu?
There's not a big differnce between the two. We're both running the same software (WordPress Multisite) freely available at wordpress.org. Blogs.evergreen.edu is customized for the Evergreen community and gives you greater freedom to customize your site including:
- use custom plugins
- edit your CSS to customize your theme
- support from Academic Computing