Difference between revisions of "Greener Commons"
|Line 102:||Line 102:|
Revision as of 14:00, 10 April 2017
Greener Commons is an online discussion forum for Evergreen community members. All Evergreen community members are encouraged to login and participate. Discussions are only viewable to logged-in users.
How can I participate?
- Login to my.evergreen.edu and click on the profile link in the upper right hand corner
- Click on the Greener Commons link under the Community header
- View topics by what's new or by category
- Create your topic
- Reply to an existing topic
How can I change my access?
- Go to my.evergreen.edu and log in.
- Click on “Profile” in the top-right corner.
- Click on “Edit Greener Commons Access” under Settings (on the right-hand side of the page).
- Option 1: If you prefer to participate in the discussions, marketplace and announcements, this is what you want. This will give you full access to all discussions. Other Greeners can see your first or chosen first name and your handle (which by default is your Evergreen login). From Greener Commons you can change your handle to whatever you want. This is the default option unless you previously selected to remain confidential through Registration and Records.
- Option 2: If you would prefer to remain anonymous in Greener Commons you can select the second option. This will hide your chosen first name from view, your handle will be anonymized, and the forum will become read-only. Again, this is the default setting for all who have previously selected to remain confidential.
- If you prefer, you can change your chosen first name using a separate form.
- You should be able to post again within the hour.
How do I change my avatar, username and email subscription settings?
- Go to my.evergreen.edu and click on the Greener Commons under the community section.
- Go to your User Page by clicking on your username in the upper right (this is only available for 500 days after the account was created)
- Go to Preferences to change your profile info as well as email settings
- Change your avatar, choose an image that best represents you and a username that will be connected to your posts and replies (you will still login with your Evergreen login)
We suggest that if you wish to have a chosen first name on record that is different from your legal first name, please fill out the [https://forms.evergreen.edu/chosen-first-name-request Chosen Name Form] with Registration and Records to get this information into our IT systems. This chosen first name will be used to create accounts in Greener Commons and will also be available across other college systems as well.
How can I receive lots of emails like I used to get with TESCtalk/TESCcrier
We have seen a few messages from students, staff and faculty regarding their desire to continue the model of receiving a message every time anything is posted. This is related to how the email lists worked, you ended up with a lot of mail you could look at later without having to login to read.
You can do this with Commons:
- Login and click on your avatar
- Select Preferences
- Under "Email" Check all the boxes
- Hit Save
This should provide for a very similar experience to TESC Crier. You might consider instead of spamming yourself to come hang out with us in Commons, but I hope this helps those who prefer email.
What are the Use Guidelines?
Be humane, be reasonable, be kind. This is a place where we hope to build and strengthen our community. For more information see the Greener Commons Use Guidelines.
How is the Commons moderated?
Greener Commons is essentially a large asynchronous campus wide seminar. The Commons is moderated by you, the Evergreen community. Participants are encouraged to use the skills and principles of a functional Evergreen seminar to help people communicate across significant differences. For more information see the Greener Commons Use Guidelines - Moderation.
How can I get involved?
Come to a meeting of the Greener Commons Workgroup. Meeting times will be announced in the Commons itself, keep your eye on Community Announcements or search for 'workgroup' in the commons.
What about TESCTalk and TESCCrier?
Those lists have been retired and are no longer options.
- Why can't I delete my post? Discourse is designed to promote conversation and engagement, asking topic creators to update their posts rather than delete them (also preventing the loss of replies.) You can always edit the title and body of your post to say "item sold," "room has been rented, etc."
What forum software is Greener Commons using?
Greener Commons is built using Discourse, an open source discussion platform.
What are the system requirements/supported devices?
- Internet Explorer 10+
- Google Chrome 24+
- Firefox 14+
- Safari 5.1+
- Mobile Safari, iOS 6+
- Mobile Chrome, Android 4.1+
- Mobile IE, Windows Phone 8 or later
Need Additional Help?