Greener Commons is an online discussion forum pilot project for Evergreen community members.
All Evergreen community members are encouraged to login and participate. Discussions are only viewable to logged-in users. This is a one year pilot starting Winter of 2014.
How can I participate?
- Login (with your Evergreen login and password)
- View topics by what's new or by category
- Create your topic
- Reply to an existing topic
How do I change my avatar, username and email subscription settings?
Once you've logged in...
- Go to your User Page by clicking on your username in the upper right
- Go to Preferences to change your profile info as well as email settings
- Change your avatar, choose an image that best represents you and a username that will be connected to your posts and replies (you will still login with your Evergreen login)
How can I receive lots of emails like I used to get with TESCtalk/TESCcrier
We have seen a few messages from students, staff and faculty regarding their desire to continue the model of receiving a message every time anything is posted. This is related to how the email lists worked, you ended up with a lot of mail you could look at later without having to login to read.
You can do this with Commons:
- Login and click on your avatar
- Select Preferences
- Under "Email" Check all the boxes
- Hit Save
This should provide for a very similar experience to TESC Crier. You might consider instead of spamming yourself to come hang out with us in Commons, but I hope this helps those who prefer email.
What are the Use Guidelines?
Be humane, be reasonable, be kind. This is a place where we hope to build and strengthen our community. For more information see the Greener Commons Use Guidelines.
How is the Commons moderated?
Greener Commons is essentially a large asynchronous campus wide seminar. The Commons is moderated by you, the Evergreen community. Participants are encouraged to use the skills and principles of a functional Evergreen seminar to help people communicate across significant differences. For more information see the Greener Commons Use Guidelines - Moderation.
How can I get involved?
Come to a meeting of the Greener Commons Workgroup. Meeting times will be announced in the Commons itself, keep your eye on Community Announcements or search for 'workgroup' in the commons.
What about TESCTalk and TESCCrier?
Those lists have been retired and are no longer options.
- Why can't I delete my post? Discourse is designed to promote conversation and engagement, asking topic creators to update their posts rather than delete them (also preventing the loss of replies.) You can always edit the title and body of your post to say "item sold," "room has been rented, etc."
What forum software is Greener Commons using?
Greener Commons is built using Discourse, an open source discussion platform.
What are the system requirements/supported devices?
- Internet Explorer 10+
- Google Chrome 24+
- Firefox 14+
- Safari 5.1+
- Mobile Safari, iOS 6+
- Mobile Chrome, Android 4.1+
- Mobile IE, Windows Phone 8 or later
Need Additional Help?