Images - Mediawiki
Displaying images in wiki pages is a 2 step process:
- Upload the image file by clicking the Upload file link in the Toolbox navigation. (note: you must use .jpg, .gif and .png type image files). For more on uploading files see Uploading Files
- In the page you want the image to be displayed in, place a link to the image file using the following syntax (note: replace filename.jpg with the name of your file) [[File:filename.jpg]] or [[File:filename.jpg|alt text]] to include alternate text with your image.
Extended image syntax
There are many additional ways you can control how images are displayed.
Example: This image uses the following syntax. Note the size refers to the width only in pixels.
[[File:Tesla portrait.gif|thumb|right|150px|portrait of Nicola Tesla]]
The basic syntax is:
<gallery> Image:Tesla portrait.gif Image:Tesla portrait.gif|Captioned Image:Tesla portrait.gif Image:Tesla portrait.gif|[[Links]] can be put in captions. Image:Tesla portrait.gif </gallery>
Links can be put in captions.
Notice that there are no brackets except for links within captions. Captions are optional. Images are separated by new lines.
- See also
- For a complete guide to the image extended syntax see: Mediawiki Extended Image Syntax
- To alter the image link see navigational images
- Mediawiki Tutorial - for a step-by-step tutorial to get you started
- FAQs - common questions about using Mediawiki at Evergreen
- All Mediawiki articles