MIT - WordPress Professional Portfolio
What is an online professional portfolio?
- How are you going to use this site for your academic work?
- What you will be documenting for Fall quarter
Driving in WordPress
- Accessing your site at http://blogs.evergreen.edu
- General - change your tagline; change your time zone to Los Angeles
- Reading - change your site's privacy settings (defaults to Evergreen users only)
- Permalinks - set this to Post Name
Writing and Managing your content
- Insert an image
- Image Galleries
- Embed video from Vimeo or YouTube by pasting the URL link into the content area of your page/post
- Link to a file
Designing Your Site
Working with themes
Themes allow you to change the design of your blog at anytime. Changing your theme will not affect the primary content of your site.
- Choose a theme
- Customize your header image - some themes allow for you to add your own header image Appearance > Header Image (may only appear if your chosen theme supports custom header images)
- Make additional changes to your theme (advanced)
Many themes support sidebar content. Often times if you don't anything to your side bar a default set of "widgets" will appear. You can change this by adding your own widgets.
- Change what your front page displays if you'd prefer a static pages instead of your latest posts (optional).
- Custom Menus - allow you to modify the navigation for your site
- not all themes support custom menus
Adding functionality to your site
- Plugin Overview - use plugins to connect your site with a variety of web content including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, etc. Want to connect to a popular service that you don't see listed in the available plugins? Let Academic Computing know and we can look into adding it.