Difference between revisions of "Mediawiki upgrade to 1.20 - New Features"
|Line 70:||Line 70:|
Revision as of 14:45, 15 November 2016
New Mediawiki Features
- Easier wiki editing with the new graphical WikiEditor
- See the built-in help for wiki syntax at the top of the editing frame as well
New Mediawiki-Bootstrap Skin
- Toolbox - includes Upload File, Special pages
- Blue Page button - this is now where you go to edit, view history or any page related activities
- Account button - login, set your preferences
- Removing sidebars allows for readers to focus page content
Skin is now responsive
and looks great on a variety of devices, phones, tablets, large screens...
More advanced options for customizing your site
- To customize your navbar go to the MediaWiki:bootstrap-navbar page in your site
- For an example of how to customize your topbar navigation see the Help Wiki's navbar at MediaWiki:bootstrap-navbar
- "Toolbox" and "SEARCH" are special words that will add key functionality to your navbar
Mediawiki-Bootstrap skin is based on the Twitter Bootstrap 2 project
Example page layouts:
This new version of mediawiki will work under all modern browsers, however, if you plan to be an active editor we recommend using Chrome as the preferred browser to avoid a few minor bugs in the skin.
We've add a few new extensions to Mediawiki that expand what a wiki can do...
- FancyBoxThumbs extension displays thumb nailed images in a Mac-style "lightbox" that floats overtop of web page. This can create a more user friendly environment, where the user doesn't leave the page every time they click a thumbnail.
- Collapsible Elements - allow you to show/hide additional content on your page using text or buttons
- DynamicArticleList - used on the front page of the Evaluation Help guide to display popular and newly updated content
- User Merge and Delete
See also: listing of all installed extensions
Default Settings in New Wikis
- Taxobox templates have been included in the SkelDB. All new sites are ready to go with taxobox and will recognize taxobox syntax.
- New Mediawiki-Bootstrap is set to be the default skin
Mediawiki Release Notes since our last version 1.15
- New diff view for greater accessibility (less dependent upon colors)
- Collapsible Elements added to core
- Renameuser — A special page which allows authorized users to rename user accounts.
- Vector — Enhancements to the Vector skin.
- WikiEditor — An improved and customizable editing toolbar developed along the Vector skin.
- Better gender support for languages that need it
- Category sorting has been drastically improved. Sorting is now case insensitive.