Mediawiki upgrade to 1.20 - New Features
New Mediawiki-Bootstrap Skin
- Toolbox - includes Upload File, Special pages
- Blue Page button - this is now where you go to edit, view history or any page related activities
- Account button - login, set your preferences
- Removing sidebars allows for readers to focus page content
Skin is now responsive
and looks great on a variety of devices, phones, tablets, large screens...
This new version of mediawiki will work under all modern browsers, however, if you plan to be an active editor we recommend using Chrome as the preferred browser to avoid a few minor bugs in the skin.
More advanced options for customizing your site
- To customize your navbar go to the MediaWiki:bootstrap-navbar page in your site
- For an example of how to customize your topbar navigation see the Help Wiki's navbar at MediaWiki:bootstrap-navbar
- "Toolbox" and "SEARCH" are special words that will add key functionality to your navbar
Mediawiki-Bootstrap skin is based on the Twitter Bootstrap 2 project
- Most styles in Twitter Bootstrap 2 are also available for use in Mediawiki-Bootstrap
- Multi-column layouts
- Example page layouts:
- WikiEditor is now built into core. Definitely checkout the built-in help for wiki syntax at the top of the editing frame.
- FancyBoxThumbs extension displays thumb nailed images in a Mac-style "lightbox" that floats overtop of web page. This can create a more user friendly environment, where the user doesn't leave the page every time they click a thumbnail.
- Collapsible Elements - allow you to show/hide additional content on your page using text or buttons
- User Merge and Delete
See also: listing of all installed extensions
Default Settings in New Wikis
- Taxobox templates have been included in the SkelDB. All new sites are ready to go with taxobox and will recognize taxobox syntax.
- New Mediawiki-Bootstrap is set to be the default skin
Mediawiki Release Notes since our last version 1.15
- New diff view for greater accessibility (less dependent upon colors)
- Collapsible Elements added to core
- Renameuser — A special page which allows authorized users to rename user accounts.
- Vector — Enhancements to the Vector skin.
- WikiEditor — An improved and customizable editing toolbar developed along the Vector skin.
- Better gender support for languages that need it
- Category sorting has been drastically improved. Sorting is now case insensitive.