Mixing Bench Cheat Sheet
Mixing Bench Cheat Sheet
Logbook and Resources
-Always enter your name and time into the logbook, along with any problems you encounter during your time in the lab.
-If you need help, go to the Multimedia Lab L1404 (360.867.5455)
-The Evergreen Help Wiki – Mixing Benches - also has step-by-step articles: xhttp://helpwiki.evergreen.edu/wiki/index.php/Category:Audio_Mixing_Benches
Power-On / Power-Off Procedure
1. Turn down the volume on the '''Volume Box'''. It’s the metal box with a red knob.
2. Turn on the Main Power on the power strip (make sure MOTU interface powers ON).
3. Turn on the computer (button on back left of computer).
4. Log in to the computer and wait for the user template to fully start up. The MOTU audio driver software appears on the desktop, do not close this application.
5. To Power-Off, shut down the computer, turn “Volume Box” volume down, turn off the power strip, remove patch cords, sign out of the logbook and clean up any mess you have made.
- Adobe Audition: Multi-track audio recording and mixing
- Digital Performer: Multi-track audio recording and mixing, capable of MIDI editing
- Pro Tools: Multi-track audio recording and mixing
- Audacity: Open source audio editor
- Waves Native Power Pack: Audio Plug-ins
- NI Komplete: Soft Synths
- Ableton Live: Music Production
- Max MSP/Jitter: Interactive programming environment
Computer Audio Cards – “MOTU 828 USB Interface”
1. Upon startup, the sound card (MOTU 828) should be set to 48k sample rate.
2. There are 2 Mic/Line inputs on the front of the MOTU, and several Line inputs on the back xx(two of which are available in the patch bay).
3. Trim knob = controls the input volume (microphone or line-level device).
4. Push the Trim knob to engage a PAD to reduce your input level.
5. Push and Hold the Trim knob to engage phantom power for condenser microphones.
Patch Bay & Mixer
-All external equipment is connected to the patch bay.
-You can connect devices with patch cables but some of the connections are normalized (no patching necessary).
-When you start it’s a good idea to remove all the patch cords from the patch bay.
-Use the mixer to set recording levels and the ''volume control box''' to set monitoring levels.
-On the Volume Box choose “MIXER” to listen to the Mixing board, or “MOTU 828” to listen to the MOTU audio interface. The computer is designed to send signals through the MOTU 828. The iMac headphone out is available in the patchbay, but requires changes to the software routing.
-On the Mixer, the knob labeled “Phones/Control Room” controls the volume that is sent to the Volume Box.