Personal Web Space

From Help Wiki
Revision as of 18:08, 4 December 2008 by Greenea (Talk | contribs)

There are a number of resources available at Evergreen for students who want to publish on the web. The first step is getting yourself some web space!

Get yourself a blog

The easiest way to get started publishing to the web is with a personal blog. You can self request a blog at Evergreen uses WordPressMU.

Requesting Personal Web Space

Before you can publish on the web you'll need space. Web space is easily requested through the my.evergreen site. Login using your Evergreen username and password, click on the 'Request personal web space' link and you're done!

Web Development Software

Evergreen is well equipped with the software required to create and publish your own web site. Macromedia Dreamweaver is available on all of the computers within the ACC, GCC, and the CAL.

Online Tutorials

There are online tutorials available. The tutorials for web development are as listed below-

Proper Use

Proper use of your web space is important. Please see the detailed explanation of Appropriate Use of It Resources.

Managing your website


Upload files using an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program. Some programs now have built in FTP utilities to let you upload pages and images to your website, but you may want to use a more powerful separate FTP program like Fetch, for Macs: You can apply for the free educational password at

Or WSFTP, for Windows:

The basic information you need to configure any FTP program (or the Publish to Web feature of a bigger program) to communicate with your website is at:

Detailed instructions for setting up Fetch are available.

Direct editing by connecting to a network file share

If (and only if) you're on campus, you can also connect to your web directory on the network and just deal with the files directly, as if they were on some other disk drive connected to your machine. See instructions for connecting a Windows machine, and for connecting a Mac.