Pidgin Chat Client for Windows
Add a new Account
- Download and install Pidgin
- Launch Pidgin and add an XMPP (jabber) account by going Accounts > Manage Accounts
- Click the Add button
- Set the following for your new account Figure 1
- Protocol = XMPP
- Username = your_evergreen_login
- Domain = evergreen.edu
- Password = your evergreen password
- Click Add
- You may need to click Accept to verify the SSL certificate
Join a Group Chat
Once you've created an account you can add an existing group chat to your Buddy List
- From the Buddy List window go Buddies > Add Chat
- Enter the Chat room name you'd like to join (your faculty should provide this)
- Enter the Server name: programs.evergreen.edu
- Handle is the name others will see when you're in the chat room
- If the chat room is password protected you may need to enter the Chat Room password here (your faculty should provide this). Note: This is NOT your evergreen password.
- Alias and Group let you control how the chat room is listed in your Buddy List
Once you've setup your account and chat room the next time you want connect to your chat room simply launch Pidgin and then double click your chatroom from the Buddy List window.
Update your chat profile/picture
- Go Accounts > Manage Accounts
- Select the account you'd like to manage and click Modify
- Check Use this buddy icon box and click the icon to choose a new image from your hard drive
Add a Buddy (to see profile pictures)
- Go Buddies > Add Buddy
- Enter the Buddy's username (their evergreen email address)
- Assign them to a group (you may want to create a new group called Evergreen and add them to that)
- Click Add
- A message will go out over chat requesting that the user authorize the request to be added to contacts. This is just like friending someone on Facebook.
- Once the request has been authorized you will be able to see when this person is connected to chat and you will be able to see their profile picture.
Save chat transcripts or logs
Set preferences to log chats
- Go Tools > Preferences > Logging
- Choose General
- Check "Log all chats"
View chat logs
- Connect to the chat room you'd like to see the logs for (Buddies > Join a chat)
- From the top menu choose Conversation > View Log
- Click Browse logs folder to locate the .txt file of these logs.
Still having problems connecting?
- Go through all of the above instructions to verify you have configured your chat client properly
- Get help from the Computer Center (360) 867-6227, or email us.
- A small percentage of Comcast users may encounter issues with Comcast’s DNS servers.If you are a Comcast user and are still unable to connect:
- Connecting through a router? Try connecting directly to your modem instead and see if you are able to connect.
- If this works you can choose to do bypass your router when you need to chat or if you want to continue to use your router follow the next step to change your local DNS.
- Change your network settings to point to Google's DNS server instead of Comcast. Follow closely the instructions located here.