Proficiency Guideline-SFX Studio
SFX Proficiency Guideline
- Return keys to Media Loan as soon as you are done. This greatly reduces your financial responsibilities and security risk to the studio.
- If you lose your keys report it to police services immediately
- You are to access the studio only at your scheduled time or you will lose your privileges. The computers send us a list of user logins and times.
- Time can be scheduled at Media Loan or Electronic Media
- Check out keys from Media Loan
- Do not ever under any circumstances let anyone into the studio or building. This is for security and safety reasons. If someone else forgets their keys than they need to contact police services.
- Sign in the log book, report any problems or encountered issues with the space
- No drinks or food in studio-leave them outside the door
- No open flames or smoke allowed in the studio
- Vacuum before you leave
- Replace lids on the foley pits
- Put all noise makers away in appropriate bins
- Take everything you came in with away with you. If you want to contribute items they would be appreciated. Items must be approved by Zena X5277.
- The center front pit is for organics only. You are responsible for cleaning, sanitizing and drying the pit afterwards so plan appropriately. Bring towels or paper towels. The shop vac is for dry materials only.
- Normalize the work station, turn off computer, and power down.
- You must bring your own headphones, mic cords, and microphones.
Step by Step Proficiency
- Turn On Power.
- Turn On Computer.
- Make sure Speaker Level is all the way down.
- Open your preferred DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).
- Record using inputs 1 and inputs 2 from the Motu 828.
- Monitor using output 1 and output 2 from your DAW (Digital Audio
- When recording into your DAW, make sure to mute the input channel you are
recording to. This will prevent latency in your monitoring path.
- If you are using the monitor mixer, you can monitor your signal either directly:
pre analog to digital conversion (basically before your sound gets into the computer (Pre-AD Send)) or you can monitor what you have already recorded using playback/monitor. Use playback/monitor on the mini-mixer in most cases. If you would like to hear more of yourself in the microphone, you can add some pre-AD send into your headphones. The pre-AD send is also useful when you are checking your levels before recording.
- Do not work off the Desktop.
- Save your project in a folder labeled with your name in the User Drive.
- Back up your project on Scratch on Nimrod or the Orca Servers.
- Please normalize the room and vacuum if necessary.
Not following these studio guidelines will result in loss of studio access.