Radical Amazement - iMovie
- Project Tips - best practices in preparation for putting together your multimedia projects
- Audio editing with Audacity handout
Create a Project
- Launch iMovie.
- In the Project Library select the Local Work drive and click the plus symbol to add a project and name it descriptively.
- Select NO THEME, set the aspect ratio to be widescreen (16:9), and click create.
Add Still Images
TIFF and JPEG formatted images are recommended.
- Copy all images to the desktop.
- Click and drag each image into the iMovie project window. A green line signifies where it will be placed in the timeline with a default duration of 4 seconds.
- To change the duration hover the cursor over the image, in the action menu that appears select Clip Adjustments. Type in a new duration and click done.
- Editing Image Properties
WAV or AIFF files are recommended.
Audio clips will be limited to the length of any the still/video clips
- Copy all audio files to the desktop into your project folder.
- Click and drag the audio file into the iMovie project window:
- To add the audio file to the entire project drag and drop into the open gray area - the entire project screen will turn green.
- To add audio at a specific point in time click and drag the file over a still image clip - a single green line will extend as long as the length of the clip.
- Press the waveform button to reveal audio waveforms
- Use the Spacebar key on your keyboard to start and stop playback. Alternatively, press the play button at the bottom left of the project window.
- Drag the cursor over clips to skim through footage. Press the button near the audio meters to mute audio when skimming.
- Click on the title button in the toolbar.
- Select a title and click and drag over an image to be superimposed over footage, or drag it between clips to have it over a solid color.
- In the viewer edit the text, and click Show Fonts to adjust font styling.
- To delete a title click on it once and press the delete key.
- Click the transitions button in the toolbar.
- Preview a transition by hovering the cursor over it.
- Click and drag the transition between two clips in the project browser – there will be a green vertical line that appears.
- To adjust the length of a transition double click on it in the project browser and type in new length in the duration field.
- To delete a transition click on it once and press the delete key.
ALERT: Add transitions to your project as your last editing step. There are known bugs with iMovie that break editing clip length after transitions have been added.
- Hover the cursor over a still image – the blue action menu will appear.
- From the action menu select Precision Editor.
- In the precision window click on the Show Extras button.
- To play back audio and the clip make sure to hover the cursor in the center of the window – the red timeline will extend over all tracks.
- Make clips longer or shorter by dragging the clip left or right, or drag the blue edit point.
- Each blue dot represents an edit point. To navigate through each edit click the next button.
- When finished click done to apply any changes.
Saving A Project
Always back up your iMovie project and associated files to the network (Orca/programs) so that you can work on it later, see Save an iMovie Project to the Network. If you want to safeguard losing this work, backup your project in at least two places.
Alternatives to saving to the network
- If you have one, bring in your own portable hard drive and save directly to it vs. saving to the installed computer.
- Work on the same computer for each session. Files saved to the Local Work drive are left alone until the end of the quarter when files are cleared off.
Export A Final Video File
When you're done editing your last step is to save a high quality version of the project in addition to posting a file to the web, DVD etc...
- From the top menu select Share > Export Movie.
- Label this file descriptively, choose to save to the Desktop, and select the HD 1080p format.
- Connect to Orca File Space Overview and save a copy in your Cubby.