Radio Practice and Politics - Mixing Benches
Setting Up Phone Interviews in the Mixing Benches
Both Mixing Benches have phones installed. The call-in # is listed on the top of the phone. For outgoing long distance calls please purchase a phone card in advance.
- Remove all existed patch cords from the patchbay.
- Patch Phone Hybrid Out (C15) > Mic/Line Input 2 (B16) .
- Patch Aux Send 1 (A21) > Hybrid In (D15), this sends the local talent to the caller.
Make sure the Mixer is normalized before starting.
- Plug headphones into the mixer, set headphone volume level to 12 o'clock.
- Plug a microphone (SM57 or 58 works well) into channel 1 of the mixer.
- Make sure that the Main Mix button" in the source section is pressed down.
- On channel 1, turn Aux Send 1 knob to 12 o'clock.
- Turn up the Master Aux 1 Send knob to 12 o'clock.
- Hard pan left channel 1 (local speaker), hard pan right channel 2 (caller).
- Set the master channel faders to unity (this controls the overall output volume to the computer).
Record directly into Audacity with the local speaker on the left channel, and the caller on the right.
- Turn on the power switch on the desk.
- Log in to the Computer
- Create a project folder with your name in the Storage Drive.
- Launch Audacity from the dock, and go to File > Save Project As , and save into the folder on the Storage Drive.