Recording from Cassette or Turntable - Mixing Bench
This article describes recording from the cassette deck or turntable with the MOTU 828 interface into Adobe Audition.
- You will patch the cassette deck or turntable into the Behringer mixer
- You will set levels with the mixer
The Mixing Benches have a MOTU 828 audio interface. The Audio Interface - Mixing Bench article has additional information about the MOTU 828.
Mixer Set Up
- Turn down the Mackie Big Knob volume box knob.
- Turn down the Control Room and Phones knob on the mixer.
- Pull all of the mixer faders down all of the way.
- Set the Gain knob to zero and make sure that all of the EQ's knobs are in the middle 0 position.
- In the Source section push the Alt 3-4 and the Main Mix buttons.??????
- Patch the cassette deck's outputs into mixer inputs 1 and 2
- List patch points
- The mixers outputs are normalized into MOTU 828 inputs 3 and 4
- Press play on the cassette deck
- On mixer channels 1 and 2 turn the gain knobs up until you see the read peak light flash.
- Turn the gain knob back until there is no red peak light flashing
- Set the Main Mix fader to 0.
- Turn up the channel 1 and 2 faders until the levels are around zero on the meters.
- On the Mackie Big Knob volume box set the switch to Mixer.
- Turn up the silver knob on the Mackie Big Knob volume box
Create a New Multitrack Session
- Open Audition from the dock
- If prompted sign to the Creative Cloud Desktop app with your Evergreen email and password.
- Go to File > New > Multitrack Session...
- In the New Multitrack Session window set the following settings
- Session Name: use a meaningful name.
- Folder Location: Click Browse and select your folder on your Desktop.
- Template : None
- Sample Rate: 48000
- Bit Depth : 24
- Master: Stereo
- Click OK
- Go to the Mixer window
- On Channel One click on Default Stereo Input and select Mono > Mic Instrument 1
- On Channel One click the R button (record)
- On Channel One click the I button.
- This allows you to monitor the input.
- Put on the headphones
- Talk into the microphone and adjust the Trim knob on the MOTU 828 while looking at the meter in Audition
- Try to get the signal in the yellow but not in the red.
- Click the Record button (Red dot) at the bottom to start recording.
- Hit the Stop button to stop recording.
- Repeat as needed.
- If you need to listen to the audio with the speakers turn off the Input button
- Click the I button.
- Take off the headphones.
- Now you can turn up the Mackie Big Knob volume box knob to listen with the speakers.
Editing and Exporting
- After recording you can edit the audio.
- You will need to export the Multitrack Session to a mono or stereo wav file when you are done
- Read Multitrack Editor - Audition for more details