SeaLife Underwater Light and Flash Operating Guide
- 1 Safety Warnings
- 2 All the Pieces
- 3 Batteries
- 4 Operating the Light
- 5 Maintaining a waterproof seal (Before your dive)
- 6 Care and Maintenance (After your dive)
- 7 Replacing the O-rings
- 8 Attaching light to underwater camera
- 9 Are your pictures or videos too red?
- 10 Aiming and releasing the light
- 11 Advanced Settings
Avoid using light above water for prolonged periods of time. The light is designed for underwater use to help displace heat. Turn light off if any parts of the light become hot to the touch. If water has entered the light, immediately turn off power and discontinue use. Remove batteries and allow the inside to dry. Contact the SeaLife service center for repairs. Use new or freshly-charged AA batteries. Do not mix old and new batteries together. Remove batteries from light before transporting, traveling or long periods of storage. Do not expose light to heat or direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time. Observe all SCUBA dive safety rules and control your buoyancy at all times. Consult your dive instructor for dive safety questions. Visit www.sealife-cameras.com for updates to this manual and underwater photography tips
All the Pieces
IV. Loading batteries 1) Unscrew the battery cap 2) Remove the battery holder 3) Insert 4 new or freshly charged AA batteries into holder. 4) Make sure each battery is installed correctly according to the polarity markings on the battery holder. 5) Make sure O-ring and sealing surfaces are perfectly clean and undamaged. 6) Screw on battery cap (hand tighten – don’t use tools)
Operating the Light
1) Push and hold the mode button for 1 second to power ON the light. 2) Push the mode button to change between the following light modes: 100% ➜ 50% ➜ 25% ➜ Blinking ➜ SOS ➜ 100%........ 3) Push and hold the mode button for 2 seconds to power OFF the light.
Maintaining a waterproof seal (Before your dive)
1) The light uses two O-rings to maintain a waterproof seal. 2) Every time you open the battery cap make sure the O-rings and sealing surfaces are clean, undamaged and lubricated. 3) Dampen a clean cotton cloth and wipe it around the o-ring and o-ring contact surfaces to remove any hair, sand or debris. 4) Carefully inspect the o-ring for cuts, tears or other damage. Replace o-rings immediately if damaged. 5) Lube O-rings if dry. Apply a small amount of silicone lube on your finger tip and wipe it around the O-rings. Wipe off excess lubricant. The o-ring should appear wet.
Care and Maintenance (After your dive)
1) After each dive, soak the sealed light in fresh water for about 15 minutes to remove any residual salt, sand and dirt. Never allow the saltwater to dry on the light. 2) Push the mode button about 10 times to clean any saltwater or sand trapped under the button. 3) Let the water drain out of the two small holes located at the bottom of flexible arm (under the tray) 4) Dry off the light with a towel. Make sure you and the light are dry before opening the waterproof battery cap. 5) Remove batteries before storing the light. 6) Allow light to thoroughly dry before storage. 7) Never use any detergents, cleaners, solvents or chemicals to clean the light. 8) Insert a fresh Moisture-Muncher capsule (item #SL911) inside the battery compartment during storage to help keep the inside dry and free of corrosion or mildew during storage.
Replacing the O-rings
Replace the two O-rings if damaged or at least once per year. 1) Use the O-ring Remover tool provided to lift and remove the O-ring. 2) Carefully clean O-ring grooves and O-rings before installation 3) Install O-rings by stretching and lifting O-ring into the groove. Do not roll the O-ring or allow it to twist. 4) Apply a small amount of silicone lube on your finger tip and wipe it around the O-rings. Wipe off excess lubricant. The o-ring should appear wet.
Attaching light to underwater camera
Important: Only attach the light to cameras/housings with minimum thread depth of 0.250” and using standard 1/4-20 tripod type thread. Don’t over-tighten screw or you may damage the housing and threads. 1) Align the underwater camera to the light’s mounting screw and hand-tighten. Use small screw provided for mounting one light. 2) To attach two lights (or a combination of one light and one SeaLife Digital Pro Flash), use longer screw
Are your pictures or videos too red?
GOOD: White balance set to Cloudy BAD: White balance not set to Cloudy
Aiming and releasing the light
The flexible flash arm is fully adjustable to allow quick and easy aiming of the light. Check the camera display to make sure the light is aimed at the subject before taking a picture. You can remove the light from the arm, by pushing the release button located on the side of the grip. Note: The flexible arm consists of seven 1-inch (2.5cm) links covered by foam rubber sleeve. You can bend the flexible arm in any direction, but if you force it beyond the point of resistance, the links will separate. If the links separate, you can reconnect it by pushing the links together until they snap in.
Customized Light Modes You can select between 8 different light mode settings: • Flash Cancellation ON or OFF: When ON, the light dims for 2 seconds when detecting external flash. • Light Power Levels: Single power (100%) or 3 power (100% ➜ 50% ➜ 25%) or 3 power plus signal (100% ➜ 50% ➜ 25% ➜ Blinking ➜ SOS) • Power Overdrive: Increase light power to 600 lumens for 2 minute. To change the light mode setting, remove the battery cap and holder. On the bottom of the battery compartment you will see 3 small toggle switches. Use a pen or similar object to adjust the switches. See next page for light mode settings. 3 small toggle switches located inside the battery compartment