Tutorials Style Guide
This style guide is intended for use in the development of workshop/application tutorials in the computing wiki.
Technical writing best practices
- Avoid chattiness or personal opinion. You can insert your personality in the classroom.
- Use clear and concise language
- Hey you, don't use "you"
- Start each step with a verb if possible. What is the person doing specifically?
When indicating navigation in the application use bold text and the > to indicate navigational sequence
- Click Go > Connect to Server
Use italics for text that should be replaced by user specific information
- Enter your username
Punctuation and Capitalization
- Start all numbered steps with a capital
- Do not punctuate the end of bulletted or numbered lists (no periods)
- See Tutorials Style Guide - Example Structure
- Usage of section headers must be consistent