Visual Literacies- Intro to Adobe Lightroom
Lightroom Classic is photo-asset management, enhancement, and publishing program.
- 1 Lightroom allows us to do three things really well:
- 2 Lightroom Interface:
- 3 Importing From a Camera, Memory Card, or Folder:
- 4 Develop Module:
- 5 Slideshow Module:
- 6 Playback:
- 7 To Add Music:
- 8 Exporting:
Lightroom allows us to do three things really well:
- Organize and manage photographs and video files
- Edit and improve media files
- Export and share these files
Lightroom is broken into different module workspace options. We will be using the:
- Library: for viewing and organizing files
- Develop: Edit and adjust images
- Slideshow: Create a slideshow with audio and export
Importing From a Camera, Memory Card, or Folder:
You can import directly into Lightroom from a camera, memory card, or folder.
- Once you have connected your camera or card, go to the Library Module.
- Go to the File pill down menu and choose Import Photos and Videos
- Click Import
- This brings you to the Add Photos page
- Select your camera, card, or folder
- It defaults to selecting all the photos
- If you know to turn off select all, just click on the photos you want to select
- Double click the photo to see it in loupe view
- In loupe view use the right and left arrows to move forward and backward
- Once you have selected your photos, click on the gear icon
- Hit Select
- Navigate to your project folder and select your import folder
This workspace makes it easy to correct exposure and color balance. You can also use this module to add a stylized look to your photos.
Changing the Color Temperature:
- Find something in your image that is white or gray and click on it was the White Balance tool
- If you don't have any grays and white, or if you don't like how the White Balance tool made the image look, you can instead use the Temperature slider.
- A good place to start is the Auto Button. Then you can make adjustments from here.
- You can adjust Contrast, Highlights, and Shadows to further refine your exposure.
- Select the Crop tool in the tool strip.
- You can lock or unlock the controls to lock the aspect ratio
- Adjust the control box
- Hit Done
- You can undo your crop by selecting the Crop tool again
- The brush tool allows you fine tune specific areas in your image with a desired effect
- You can adjust brush size, feather (edges), and flow (intensity)
- The Clarity slider is an excellent tool for adding punch to images without making them look unnatural.
Building the Slideshow:
- To build a slideshow, start by selecting the photos you want in the Library Module (cmd A selects all)
- Scroll down to the Collections panel and choose Create Collection
- Name the Collection
- Leave Selected Photos check
- Click-on Create
- Open the Slideshow Module
- Select a Template, pick one that is a good starting point
- Click on the Create Saved Slideshow button and name your slideshow
- It is important to do this early so everything gets saved together
- Go to Edit menu and click-on Select Only Active Photo
- Arrow keys left you move through the slideshow
- Open Layout and Options panel
- Select Show Guides--these guides let you change the way the slideshow will appear
- Unchecking Link All in the Layout panel will let you offset photos, Link All centers the photo
- Under Options you can check Zoom to Fill Frame to have the image fill the frame, and you can reposition as needed
Adding Type and Titles
- Open the Overlays panel and add an Identity Plate
- Click-on the triangle icon and select Edit
- Select Using Stylized Text and type what is needed
- Change the color, scale, position as needed
- In the Overlay panel check Intro Screen or Ending Screen and follow the same text procedure
Under the Slideshow Mode select Automatic
- Can add Pan and Zoom, Slide Lengths, and Crossfade
To Add Music:
- Open the Music panel
- Click the + to add a music file
- The music panel let's you selection the music. The music will automatically fade from one track to another. Set your playback times.
- Fit to music fits the slides to duration of the music
- Sync Slides to Music to determines transitions to the beat of the songs
- Click on the Export Video Button
- Rename the file and determine the save location
- Change the Video Preset to 1080p 16:9 or 720p 16:9
- Playback the exports to make sure everything works.