Zoom for Students
Signing Into Zoom
- Every student gets a basic Zoom account that is limited to hosting 40 minutes meetings
- Go to evergreen.zoom.us and click SIgn In
- You will be prompted to sign in with your Evergreen account and password.
- When using the Zoom app click the Sign in with SSO button on the right to sign in with your Evergreen account and password.
Updating your Zoom Profile
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal and click Profile. Your Zoom profile allows you to update your user information, including your name, personal meeting ID, email address, and more.
- Customize your profile according to your program agreements by following these instructions.
- Profile Picture: To add or change your profile picture, click Change, then adjust the crop area on your current picture or upload a new one. You can also delete your profile picture by clicking Delete.
- Name: To change your name, click Edit on the right side. You can also add other profile information including Department, Job Title, Company, and Location.
- *It is recommended that you add your preferred pronouns after your last name.
Installing the Zoom App
- Go to evergreen.zoom.us/download
- Click the Zoom Client for Meetings link visible at the top of the window.
- Run the installer on your computer.
- Launch the Zoom application on your computer.
Launching a Zoom Meeting from Canvas
Step 1: Log into Canvas
- Log in to https://canvas.evergreen.edu with your evergreen email and password.
- Note: The Chrome browser works most reliably.
- Within Canvas, navigate to the course.
- In the course homepage, find the session.
- Click on the Zoom link within the schedule.
Step 2: Launch Zoom in the Zoom Client
- Launch Zoom in the Zoom Client
- When prompted click Open Zoom.us in the Open Zoom.us window.
- This will automatically open the Zoom Client on your computer and join the Zoom session
Participating in a Zoom Meeting
Connect to Audio
You can join audio by computer (recommended) or by phone. To connect to computer audio:
- Click Join Audio.
- Choose Join Audio by Computer to connect your computer’s speaker and microphone to Zoom.
- We recommend that you mute your audio, unless talking, to avoid background noise for other participants.
Connect to Video
To activate your video:
- Click Start Video to activate webcam.
- Click Stop Video to stop the webcam.
- Select the up arrow to review video settings.
- If you are experiencing frequent video buffering, try turning your video off.
View Participants and Raise Hand
To participate via Participants:
- Click Participants. This will open the Participant panel.
- Click the Raise Hand icon to let the instructor know you have a question. Click it again to lower it.
- Click More to see additional controls.
Chat with Participants
- Click Chat to activate the Chat panel.
- Type a message and select Return to instant message with other participants.
Your faculty will most likely use breakout rooms to create opportunities for small group interaction within a large group setting.
To participate in breakout room:
- Select Join when the Breakout Room invitation appears.
- Feel free to turn on your audio and video to facilitate social presence while in the room.
- Click Return to Main Room to rejoin the large group.
Getting Started - First Time Installing Zoom Desktop App
- Click the Zoom link provided by your faculty to Join the Zoom Meeting.
- The first time you try to join a meeting you will be prompted to download and install the Zoom desktop application.
- It's recommended to run Zoom from the desktop app versus joining from your browser.
- Follow the prompts to install Zoom on your computer. Note: you only need to do this once.
Join a Meeting
Once the Zoom app is installed you will be prompted to join the meeting
- choose Join with Video
- next choose Join with Computer Audio
- if you're unsure about your audio setup, choose Test Speaker and Microphone before joining
Do I need a Zoom account to join a meeting?
- No, a Zoom account is only required if you want to host a meeting. You do not need an account to attend a meeting when you are following a link.
Can I host my own meeting?
- Yes, Zoom Basic accounts are free and allow meetings up to 40 min. with multiple attendees. One-on-one meetings are not limited to 40 minutes. You can go to evergreen.zoom.us and sign on with your Evergreen account a password.
How can I set a profile picture when my video is turned off?
Learning more about Zoom
See Zoom's Help Center for instructions.
Keywords: web conferencing