Computer Center Jobs
Academic Computing Center Staff
Working at the Computer Center may be the best student job on campus! Computer Center student employees work in a busy environment, supporting academic pursuits of the campus community, while gaining valuable, hands-on experience.
These are the friendly folks who work at the front desk of the Computer Center. In addition to helping anyone and everyone who walks up to the desk with a question, AC Techs provide support to the full-time staff of Academic Technologies.
We're looking for students with very strong communication and collaboration skills. Job-related experience working with people is highly desirable. Along those lines, some personal traits that we are looking for are maturity, willingness to learn new things, and an ability to flourish as part of a team.
Help fellow students and Evergreen Faculty by:
- Responding to a wide range of account problems and software questions
- Providing technical assistance at the Computer Center, by email, and over the phone
- Fielding campus wide technical support requests via our ticketing system
- Keeping our printers running and stocked with delicious paper
- Managing reservations for our computer classrooms
- Assisting Academic Technologies staff as they support educational use of applications and online tools.
- Transferring issues to full time staff in Computing & Communications and other College departments.
Our major hiring each year is completed in Spring for the following Fall quarter. Our application is available online. For more information, contact the Computer Center Help Desk at (360)-867-6227 and ask to speak with a manager.
Troubleshoot Windows and Macintosh systems in the Computer Center. Perform system maintenance tasks, including hardware and software installation and configuration. Correct problems with various academic applications, utilities, and system files. Provide technical assistance to AC Techs, possibly including workshops or tutoring. Perform operator duties for academic servers. Write documentation. Perform related duties as required. May be required to work flexible hours.
Applicants should have:
- Considerable experience with computers, including Windows, *NIX, and/or Macintosh OS X operating systems.
- Ability to perform hardware maintenance, including installation, troubleshooting and component cleaning.
- Ability to identify problems with hardware and software, diagnose and take steps to resolve.
- Ability to create and modify script files for various systems (Windows batch files, *NIX shell scripts, AppleScript). * Applicants should possess a willingness to learn, be mature, responsible, able to cooperate, and have strong people and communication skills.
- Previous experience as an AC Tech is highly desirable.