Stereo to Mono - Premiere Pro
If you have a stereo audio file or a stereo audio track in a video file and you only want to use the left or right channel Premiere Pro has multiple ways of accomplishing this.
A common a example would be a stereo file with audio on the left channel and silence on the right channel.
- The Fill Left with Right or Fill Right with Left audio effects can be used to duplicate the audio from one channel to another.
- Select the audio clip in the Timeline.
- Open the Effects panel.
- Expand the Audio Effects folder.
- Drag the Fill Left with Right or Fill Right with Left effect on the clip in the Timeline.
- Fill Right with Left duplicates the left channel onto the right channel.
- Fill Left with Right duplicates the right channel onto the left channel.
- Now the audio will playback on both channels. The waveform display in the Timeline will only show audio on one channel.
Breakout to Mono
The Breakout to Mono command creates mono audio master clips from a stereo audio or video clip. The clips reference the original file. No new media is created.
- Select a clip in the Project panel.
- Go to Clip > Audio Options > Breakout to Mono
- Two new clips will be created in the Project panel.
- The new clips will have the original filename with either Left or Right added to them.