Creating a PDF from a File
Learn how to create a PDF from a digital file or application already on your computer. Note: this article assumes you do not have Adobe Acrobat Pro installed which is a great tool for creating PDFs.
Microsoft Office Users (Mac and Windows)
PDF creation is built-in to new versions of Microsoft Office
- From any MS Office Document go File > Save As
- Choose PDF from the File Format dropdown
PDF creation is built-in to the Mac OS. You do not need any special software installed.
- From any application on your Macintosh go File > Print
- From the PDF drop-down menu (lowerleft) choose "Save as PDF"
- Enter the filename and location to save your pdf
- Click Save to create and save your pdf
Create a PDF on MS Windows
Option 1 - Windows 10 has print to PDF built-in.
- From any app choose File > Print > Microsoft Print to PDF.
- Using an older version of WIndows? Try some of the options below.
Option 2 - Use a program's built-in Export to PDF
- Google Chrome, MS Office and LibreOffice all have the ability to Export or Save As PDF built-in to the application.
Option 3 - Install a PDF Printer like CutePDFWriter.
- Be sure to uncheck the Ask Toolbar and other bloatware while installing.