Pidgin Chat Client for Windows
Add a new Account
- Download and install Pidgin
- Launch Pidgin and add an XMPP (jabber) account by going Accounts > Manage Accounts
- Click the Add button
- Set the following for your new account Figure 1
- Protocol = XMPP
- Username = your_evergreen_login
- Domain = evergreen.edu
- Password = your evergreen password
- Click Add
Join a Group Chat
Once you've created an account you can add an existing group chat to your Buddy List
- From the Buddy List window go Buddies > Add Chat
- Enter the Chat room name you'd like to join (your faculty should provide this)
- Enter the Server name: programs.evergreen.edu
- Handle is the name others will see when you're in the chat room
- If the chat room is password protected you may need to enter the Chat Room password here (your faculty should provide this). Note: This is NOT your evergreen password.
- Alias and Group let you control how the chat room is listed in your Buddy List
Once you've setup your account and chat room the next time you want connect to your chat room simply launch Pidgin and then double click your chatroom from the Buddy List window.
Update your chat profile/picture
- Go Accounts > Manage Accounts
- Select the account you'd like to manage and click Modify
- Check Use this buddy icon box and click the icon to choose a new image from your hard drive
Save chat transcripts or logs
Set preferences to log chats
- Go Tools > Preferences > Logging
- Choose General
- Check "Log all chats"
View chat logs
- Connect to the chat room you'd like to see the logs for (Buddies > Join a chat)
- From the top menu choose Conversation > View Log
- Click Browse logs folder to locate the .txt file of these logs.