Printer Hardware Support
The Support Center provides basic support of the print environment.
- Initial setup, configuration and networking
- Troubleshoot printing issues as they relate to the desktop configurations
- Disposal of college owned printers
Printer Hardware Maintenance and Repair Services
The college does not provide hardware maintenance or repair services of printers. Computing and Communication does still service a small number of high output printers under our management that are used by students.
All other printers including personal, office and work group printers will not be repaired or maintained by the college. As an example, replacing infusers, cartridges, rollers, clean out toner spills, replace toner cartridges or anything requiring more training, tools or knowledge than an end user would reasonably need, fall on the area or work group to resolve. Replacing a toner cartridge, adding paper to a tray, troubleshooting a paper jam are all examples of simple, end user tasks that are documented in the user manuals provided to the consumer with the printer. Office workers should be able to accomplish those tasks (follow basic instructions, most often with pictures, in a user manual) as part of their daily work.
If they have problems doing that, the Technical Support Center (TSC) will provide printer(and all other devices) support in a limited manner - basic troubleshooting (cable fell out, a reboot, etc.), coordinate installs (network configuration and security configurations) and provide end-of-life disposal and surplus. They can also advise, within their scope of knowledge whether or not they think the printer needs repairs that could be done under warranty or extended support agreements and when it needs to be replaced.
Printer hardware maintenance and repair options for college owned printers include the following:
- Purchase hardware through the purchasing office with a vendor who can provide an extended maintenance contract
- Lease hardware through the college bookstore that would include a maintenance and repair service as part of the lease agreement (MFD's only)
- Purchase small inexpensive desktop print devices that can be more easily replaced if necessary rather than repaired
The college will assist staff to acquire printers through two different strategies. If a work area would like to purchase a printer, they may do this based on supported devices as identified below. Devices that are requested that are not on this list would require specific review and approval by C&C before purchasing. These printers are supported by C&C as described later in this article.
Alternatively a work area may decide to lease a printer/multi function device (MFD) through the bookstore. This is a good option for areas that are looking for a fully supported printing experience that can include materials (paper and toner), repair and replacement. For more information regarding this option customers should be pointed to the Greener Store for more information.
The printers below are currently approved for purchase through the college purchasing office.
- Black and white - M404dn ~ $219.00
- Color - M452dn ~$275.00
Low Capacity Network Printers
- Black and white - M506dn or 506x ~$800.00
- Color - M553dn or 553x ~$800.00
Mid-Capacity Network Printers
- Black and white - M609dn ~$1800.00
- Color - M652dn ~ $1300.00
High-Capacity Network Printers
- Black and white -M806dn ~ $3400.00
- Color - M750 ~$2700.00