Zoom H4n Audio Recorder Gear Guide
A proficiency test is required to check out this camera. Schedule a proficiency at the front desk of Media Loan or by calling 360-867-6253. Read this operating guide and Marantz PMD-660 Audio Recorder Operating Guide and complete the written portion of the Digital Audio Recorder Proficiency Test prior to your scheduled proficiency. Bring your answer sheet with you to the test, which should take approximately 30 - 45 minutes.
- DO NOT use in or subject unit to extreme temperatures, near heat sources, high humidity or moisture, excessive dust or sand, excessive vibration or shock.
- DO NOT insert foreign objects into or allow liquid to enter the unit.
- DO NOT exert undue pressure on the keys or other controls.
- DO NOT put the H4n speaker next to other precision instruments, such as a computer, or next to magnetic cards.
- ALWAYS power down the H4n and all attached equipment before unplugging any cables. Unplug cables before moving the H4n unit to avoid jarring the jacks.
- NEVER open the casing of the H4n or attempt to modify it in any way. Bring the unit to Media Loan for service immediately if it is not functioning correctly.
- DO NOT use the H4n at loud volumes for extended periods of time, as it may cause hearing impairment.
- REMEMBER that you are 100% financially responsible for all equipment you check out from Media Loan!
It is highly recommended that you consult the complete H4n manual for detailed information regarding recording, modes and all further H4n details. There is simply too much information to be included in a simple guide such as this. The complete H4n manual is available from Media Loan.
Supplying Power to the H4n
Since power consumption of this unit is fairly high, we recommend the use of an AC power adapter whenever possible. If using batteries is necessary, make sure to use Alkaline or Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries.
- Use only the AC adapter provided by Media Loan. Use of any other adapter could damage the H4n.
- During lightning or when not using the recorder for an extended period, disconnect the recorder from the AC outlet.
- When powering with batteries, use two conventional size AA - 1.5 volt batteries of the same type.
- When not using the recorder from an extended period, remove the batteries.
- When using the recorder, the battery cover should be closed.
- Before plugging in or unplugging, inserting or removing batteries, make sure the H4n is powered down, otherwise, any data on the recorder may be destroyed.
- The H4n can be powered by USB, but ONLY when it is being used as a USB audio interface or to transfer files.
Media Loan provides a SD card with the H4n recorder, This should provide a large amount of recording time, even while recording in very high definition formats. If you need longer recording times than the card can provide, the H4n will accept SD and SDHC cards.
- Do not remove the SD card unless absolutely necessary.
- Make sure the recorder is turned off before attempting to change the SD card.
- SD cards are expensive. Always remember to return your recorder with the SD card it came with from Media Loan.
- If the SD card does not seem to fit or you are having difficulty removing it, please return to Media Loan for assistance.
- Do not exert any excessive force on the SD card or the recorder.
The power switch to the H4n is a two-way slider switch. To power on the H4, push the switch toward the power logo, then release it. The switch will return to its original position, and the H4n will begin to boot up. To power off the recorder, pull the switch towards the power logo and hold it there until the screen displays “Goodbye See You!” The power switch also functions as a key hold switch to prevent any unwanted changes during recording. To put the H4n into key hold mode, push the power switch into the hold position. The screen will show that the H4n is in key hold mode, and all buttons will not respond until key hold mode is deactivated. To switch out of key hold mode, simply pull the power switch back to the center position. The screen will display that the key guard has been released.
Main Menu and Controls
To access the main menu, press the MENU button on the right side of the recorder. Once inside the main menu, turn the dial to select the desired option and press the dial to select. To go back to the previous menu screen, press the MENU button again.
[Folder] - The H4n offers 10 folders to keep recorded files separate and organized. When in the menu, the current folder will display at the bottom of the screen. [File] - File Management within the selected folder. [Input] - Fine tune controls for different inputs. [Rec] - Controls for file format/quality, and prerecording/volume activated recording. [Mixer] - Controls volume and pan settings for recording. [Mode] - Use to select a recording mode.
- NOTE: All modes can be changed from the mode menu EXCEPT stamina mode! For complete details on using stamina mode, see the Recording Modes section of this manual.