As Poetry - WordPress
For all students your product for assessment will be a “letter” of the program “eAlphabet” that will include:
- ILC form
- weekly log of hours and activities
- weekly Bachelardian reverie
- poetry and video of your “poetry observed”
- Holdrege-based term paper including text, images, and poetry
Field Study Proposal: In-Program ILC
Post your completed Individual Learning Contract form here. This in-program ILC should describe the learning goals and activities that you want to accomplish during your February field study. Be specific and succinct regarding your answers to the following questions that are prompts for the construction of your ILC narrative: 1) What passion will you immerse yourself in for the month of February? 2) What do you hope to experience during this immersion? 3) What scholarly resources are available from others with more knowledge or experience regarding your passion and immersing yourself in it? Be specific: list authors, books, articles, reports, exhibits, films. Would creating an annotated bibliography of these resources help you achieve your learning objectives? 4) Is there a style of poetry or specific poet that/who might provide a model for your creation of poetry in relation to your immersion in a passion? Note: Your goal is to create a poetic version of what Edgar Doctorow calls good writing: “Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader—not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon.” 5) Logistics: Where will you be? Transportation and living expenses? Access to the internet and a library?
Getting Started with WordPress - What is WordPress and how is it being used at Evergreen?
Driving in WordPress
- Login to the eAlphabet site
- Dashboard Overview - get comfortable navigating the Dashboard and moving between Admin and Public view
- Change your profile info
Writing and Managing your content
- Adding new posts
- Title your post - start ALL of your posts with your unique letter(s).
Example: A - week 1 field study log
"The Letter" post
Your "Letter Post" functions as a landing page or portfolio that gathers together all of the work you contribute to the site.
Creating the sections for your Letter Post
You can copy and paste the following sections template code:
note: you will need to replace the xx with your unique letter identifier
Field Study proposal excerpt
(an excerpt from your in-program ILC will go here )
See full proposal and weekly logs
ABCs and 123s - weekly log and field notes
[catlist tags=xx-logs date=yes excerpt=yes excerpt_size=30]
[catlist tags=xx-bachelard date=yes excerpt=yes excerpt_size=30]
[catlist tags=xx-poetry excerpt=yes excerpt_size=30]
(embedded youtube or Vimeo video will go here)
Term Paper Abstract
Read full term paper
Additional Posts and Post Categories
Select the appropriate categories for each post you write
- bachelard - used for all Bacheldar Reverie posts
- logs - used for weekly field study reports/logs
- field study proposal
- poetry - all poetry posts
- poetry observed - add this category to the poetry post that includes your embedded poetry observed video
- term paper - for all term paper posts in addition to quarter category
- term paper - fall - for all Fall quarter term paper posts
- term paper - winter - for all Winter quarter term paper posts
3 of the post types you create will need to be "Tagged" with your unique letter (xx) - category name. This tagging will assign these posts to display a link and summary from your portfolio "Letter" post
- Weekly log posts: tag = xx-logs
- Bachelardian Reverie posts: tag = xx-bachelard
- Poetry posts: tag = xx-poetry
- While editing a post, highlight the text you want to be a link
- Click the "add link" button
- Paste the URL you want to link to and click "Add Link"
File management: we will all be sharing a single media library. Make sure to use a unique file naming convention. Start your files with your unique letter identifier and it will be easy to find all files related to your work.
Example: aa_image1.jpg, aa_audio1.mp3
You will all be creating a graphic to represent your letter and a banner "featured image" for your letter post. The banner image should be approximately 624 x 94 pixels.
- Insert an image - add an image to the body of a post
- Adding captions to cite your image sources
- Using Photoshop to resize very large images: File > Save for Web and Devices
- Scanning from a Macintosh in the Computer Center
- Set a featured image for each of your posts. This image will display at the top of post as well as in the category listing page. Experiment with cropping images to different dimensions. For a thumbnail version of your image upload one 150px x 150px.
- Image Galleries - WordPress
Adding pdfs is just like inserting an image except a link to the pdf will be inserted instead of an image.
- Make sure to uncheck the Embed using Google Doc Embedder if you just want a link to the pdf.
- For the term paper posts use the Embed using Google Doc Embeeder to give readers an easy way to ready your paper in the context of the site.
- Add descriptive text about the audio file into your post
- then upload your audio file (must be mp3) and insert into post. See Exporting Audio for instructions on creating an mp3 using Audacity.
- Audio plugin will automatically detect file and insert a graphical player.
- Wordpress.com Getting Started Tutorials - these tutorials are for working on wordpress.com but is nearly identical to using WordPress at blogs.evergreen.edu
- Lynda.com - video based training tutorials
- WordPress 3 Essential Training - this training is geared towards using Wordpress.com but if you skip the account setup portion most of the rest is relevant to blogs.evergreen.edu
- Photoshop Essential Training
- Illustrator Essential Training