Canvas Site Templates
Canvas is our primary LMS (Learning Management System). See below for what curricular templates are available and how to apply them to your site.
Current Curricular Template
We currently have one template available for programs and courses, the Evergreen Curricular Template 2020-2021.
- This template was designed for Evergreen by educational content providers, Six Red Marbles, in August 2020.
- There is a full version, featuring 3 different examples for structuring modules (daily, weekly, thematic), and a curated version featuring the "daily" module structure.
The full and curated versions both feature:
- The Home Page set as a Page, with placeholder content and guidelines for faculty regarding what information to provide students
- Placeholder syllabus content at the Canvas Syllabus page
A "Welcome" module with placeholder pages for:
- About the Program
- Community Agreement
- Additional Campus Resources
- and an "Introduce Yourself!" discussion
How to Apply either Version to your Canvas Site
The curated version is automatically applied when Canvas is activated for your offering:
Self-select/activate Canvas for your offering, and the template version featuring an example of a "daily" module structure will automatically populate your site.
The full version is available for download from the Canvas Commons:
- The full template includes all 3 module structures (daily, weekly, thematic)
- Please see this illustrated Canvas guide for how to download and import the template into your Canvas site, How do I import and view a Commons resource in Canvas?
If your site already contains content:
- Add template content to existing content (modules, pages, discussions, etc) and organize/delete content as needed
- Delete all existing content before importing the full template by resetting your Canvas site
- IMPORTANT!: resetting the site will wipe it of all content (that can not be recovered) and change its URL
Need help applying the full version to your site?
Please submit a request to help.evergreen.edu which includes:
- your name
- name of your offering and its Canvas site URL
- that you'd like the full curricular template applied to your site
- and whether you'd like to add to existing content or wipe all content
Academic Technologies staff can reset your site and import the full template for you...
but if you’d like to give it a try:
1. Use “Reset Course Content” to wipe all existing content from the site
- Click “Settings” at bottom of Course Navigation
- At next page, click “Reset Course Content” (at right of page)
2. After the course has been reset, use “Import from Commons”:
- Click “Home” at top of Course Navigation
- At the Home page, click “Import from Commons” at right
3. At the Canvas Commons, enter “Evergreen” in search bar
- Click on the result for “Evergreen Canvas Template 2020-2021”
- At the template page, click the blue “Import/Download” button at right
- In the slide-out “Import/Download” window, you should see a list of the Canvas sites you are associated with
- check the box for the offering you want to import the template into (double-check term and year)
- or – enter the name of the offering in the search bar, and then check the box
- Then click the blue “Import into Course” button
- After using the button, you should be returned to the template page and see a message along top that says, “You have successfully started the import! It may take a little while to see changes in your course.”
4. Go back to the offering’s Canvas site and customize the template as needed.
Walk through this self-paced online course for an overview of the Canvas interface along with some of the tools and features used in building a basic modules-based site.
Need Canvas Tech Help?
- When using Canvas and you encounter an issue, click on Help in the lower left corner of the Canvas site.
- This opens a pop-up window with different help options such as:
- If you are unable to access/log in to Canvas, submit a help ticket to Academic Technologies or from the upper right corner of your MyEvergreen page.