Create a Quick Vignette - After Effects
From Help Wiki
In this tutorial, you will learn how to create a vignette. Vignettes can be used to direct the viewer's eye by drawing attention away from the edges of a video and focusing on a specific area.
- In your composition, create a new solid above your footage by going to Layer > New > Solid, or by pressing Command Y. This solid will become your vignette - so keep that in mind when setting the solid color. Also, be sure to keep the Pixel Aspect Ratio and other presets similar to what you're working with in your main composition.
- Next, click and hold on the Shape Tool in the toolbar and select the Ellipse Tool (or whatever shape you want your vignette to be in).
- Then double click on the Ellipse Tool. It will automatically create a mask vignette that is the size of your composition.
- Next, in the Mask settings on the solid layer, click the drop down box that says Add and select Subtract instead (or click on the Inverted checkbox). This will move the solid layer to the outer edges of your composition.
- If you wish to resize or reshape the vignette, click on the red points to adjust the shape to your liking.
- Last, adjust the Mask Opacity (T) and the Mask Feathering (F) until the vignette is semitransparent and has the look you desire.