Intro to Audio - WordPress 1
- Getting Started with WordPress - What is WordPress and how is it being used at Evergreen?
- Portfolio Examples:
Create a New WordPress Site
- Create your first site if you are new to blogs.evergreen.edu.
- Learn how to create additional sites if you already have a site at blogs.evergreen.edu.
Driving in WordPress
- Dashboard Overview - get comfortable navigating the Dashboard and moving between Admin and Public view
Change Some Important Settings
- Change your Site's subtitle or Tagline Settings > General
- Change the default Discussion settings Settings > Discussion
- Change your privacy settings Settings > Privacy - by default your site is closed to the world
Writing and Managing your content
- Get Published - Pages and Posts
- Create your "Home" page - explore the text editor and add some filler content
- Create your "News" page (optional)
- Change what your front page displays if you'd prefer a static pages instead your latest posts.
- Categories and Tags - only if you're working with Posts on a News page
- Insert an image - add an image to the body
Designing Your Site
Working with themes
Themes allow you to change the design of your blog at anytime. Changing your theme will not affect the primary content of your site.
- Choose a theme in Appearance > Themes
- Customize your header image - some themes allow for you to add your own header image Appearance > Header Image (may only appear if your chosen theme supports custom header images)
Sidebars (aka "Widgets")
Many themes support sidebar content. Often times if you don't add anything to your side bar a default set of "widgets" will appear. You can change this by adding your own widgets.
- Custom Menus - allow you to modify the navigation for your site (optional)
Adding functionality to your site
Wrapping it up
- Wordpress.com Getting Started Tutorials - these tutorials are for working on wordpress.com but is nearly identical to using WordPress at blogs.evergreen.edu
- Lynda.com (on-campus) WordPress 3 Essential Training - this is another training geared towards using Wordpress.com but if you skip the account setup portion most of the rest is relavent to blogs.evergreen.edu
- Introduction to CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)