Computer Center Jobs
Computing Center Consultant
We will begin accepting applications on Monday, April 25.
- Answer questions for users of the Computing Center
- Perform all the tasks necessary to keep the Center running smoothly.
Why would you want to be a Computing Center Consultant?
Being a Computer Center Consultant may be the best student job on campus! Why? Because you make a difference! You help other students get their work done. You may leave work tired but you’ll always leave work knowing that you made a difference. Plus, you get a chance to learn about technology on the job, while on shift and through weekly training sessions.
Work Study or Institutional!!
- Students with or without a work study award are encouraged to apply.
What Are We Looking for in a Computer Center Consultant?
- What we're looking for in Computer Center Consultants is a combination of technical skills, people skills, and work skills. We know that every Evergreener doesn't possess these skills in equal parts -- that's why we interview you.
- Some personal trails that we are looking for are
- Willingness to learn
- Ability to cooperate and work as part of a team
- Strong people and communication skills. Job-related experience working with people is highly desirable.
- Get a chance to learn about technology on the job, while on shift and through weekly training sessions.
Are there possibilities for advancement?
After you've been a Computing Center Consultant for a year, you're eligible to become a Computing Center Consultant Senior. We may be providing additional growth opportunities during 2011-2012.
Troubleshoot Windows and Macintosh systems in the Computer Center. Perform system maintenance tasks, including hardware and software installation and configuration. Correct problems with various academic applications, utilities, and system files. Provide technical assistance to Consultants, possibly including workshops or tutoring. Perform operator duties for academic servers. Write documentation. Perform related duties as required. May be required to work flexible hours.
Applicants should have:
- considerable experience with computers, including Windows, *NIX, and/or Macintosh OS X operating systems.
- Ability to perform hardware maintenance, including installation, troubleshooting and component cleaning.
- Ability to identify problems with hardware and software, diagnose and take steps to resolve.
- Ability to create and modify script files for various systems (Windows batch files, *NIX shell scripts, AppleScript). * Applicants should possess a willingness to learn, be mature, responsible, able to cooperate, and have strong people and communication skills.
- Previous experience as a Computer Center Consultant is highly desirable.
The Hiring Process
At this time all positions for 2010-2011 have been filled. For more information about working as a technical consultant, contact Isaac Overcast at extension 6226.