Essential Free and Open Source Software
Meaning of Free and Open Source
Free Software and Open Source Software allow us the freedoms to
- access the tools for any reason (commercial, political, creative, etc.)
- share the tools with a wider community,
- modify the tools to meet our specific needs, and
- study or view the sourcecode to learn how the tools work.
These are essential freedoms; not simply in terms of cost, but liberty.
Please review Freedom Defined for more information.
Animation and Simulation
- Blender 3D - Game design, physics simulation, animation, 3D modeling, architecture, video editing, compositing, etc..
- Audacity - audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems.
- openFrameworks - C++ toolkit for creative coding.
- Processing - create images, animations, and interactions.
- GIMP - image manipulation, design, web development, and layered graphics.
- Inkscape - vector illustration, design, layout, web development. Using the SVG standard.
- Scribus - page layout, design, publishing.
- Wikipedia list of GIS software
- Wikipedia comparison of GIS software
- GRASS GIS - data management, analysis, image processing, modeling.
- Quantum GIS - integrated toolkit for geospatial analysis, data management, etc.
- SAGA GIS - collection of geospatial tools featuring a simple UI.
- SEXTANTE GIS - GIS graphical modeling tool and collection of geospatial libraries.
NOTE: Quantum GIS has plugins to integrate GRASS, SAGA, and SEXTANTE into a unified interface!
Statistics and Data Visualization
- Gephi Graph visualization, analysis, manipulation.
- Orange - Open source data visualization and analysis for novice and experts. Data mining through visual programming or Python scripting. Components for machine learning. Add-ons for bioinformatics and text mining. Packed with features for data analytics.
- R Studio - development environment for the R Language for statistical computing.
- SOFA - Statistics Open For All is a user-friendly statistics, analysis, and reporting program.
- VideoLAN Client - video playback, streaming, download, and conversion tool. Swiss-army knife for video processing.