STL Viewer - WordPress
The STL Viewer plugin let's you embed interactive 3D models in your WordPress site
See the plugin in action at the STL Viewer Demo site.
Activate the necessary plugins
The following plugins must be activated in Dashboard > Plugins
- STL Viewer
- AP Extended Mime Types - let's you upload .stl files to your media library
Apply settings for SLT Viewer
- From your Dashboard go to Settings > STL Viewer
- Set the Height and Width in pixels, i.e. 300px. Alert: If these fields are left blank or not formatted properly the plugin may not work.
Try these settings to start, you can always adjust later:
- Height: 300px
- Width: 300px
- Object color: #2B56B8
- Background color: #FFFFFF
- Show Controls: checked
Upload .STL files to media library
- The plugin will be referencing the file name of each .stl file so make sure they are unique.
- If you get an error saying "Sorry, this file type is not permitted for security reasons" you need to activate the AP Extended Mime Types plugin
Add the plugin shortcode
- Create a post or page and add the STL shortcode:
[stl file="http://blogs.evergreen.edu/stlviewer/files/2014/11/blue_rabbit.stl" /]
- Replace the filename with the full path to the FIle URL of your .stl file.
- If you're not sure what the File URL is, go to your media library and look under the Attachment Details for your uploaded file.
- View your post to check that it's working
Control how the model is displayed in the shortcode (optional)
- add more parameters to the shortcode
[stl file="http://blogs.evergreen.edu/stlviewer/files/2014/11/blue_rabbit.stl" color="#2b56b8" background="#f8f8f8" width="100%" height="640px" /]
- alternatively you can change the default settings
Troubleshooting Tips / Known issues
Doesn't work? Try:
- Using the latest version of Chrome for your browser
- Make sure to properly apply the settings in Settings > STL Viewer
- Will only load the first stl file on a page. Does not support multiple files per page.
- Just says downloading and never completes? Make user you've entered the full URL to the file.